Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I broke something. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:06 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

Default I think I broke something. please help.

I went out and ran the stang again last night at the track. i was launching pretty aggressivly with drag radials and it was hooking up great. but on the way home i noticed when i would let off the gas with it in gear, any gear (manual), it was making a whining noise. it is loudest at 45-50mph, and it only happens when i let off the gas with it in gear, but it happens every time. i can still hear it in neutral when i let off the gas, but not nearly as loud.

could it be the diff? something inside the trans? i still have warranty on the car, so i'm gonna revert back to stock, clean the tire rubber off the rear wheel wells and quarter panels, and see if they will fix it and hopefully not try to pin me with the bill.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:23 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like it's in the tranny. Do you feel any vibration with it?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:13 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

no vibrations, just a whine noise. i was leaning more twards the diff because it does it in all gears and somewhat in neutral, but not on accelleration. but it still could be in the trans i suppose.

anyone ever have a whine like this? it kind of seems to be the same as the gear whine some members here describe when they get gears installed incorrectly. but i cant be sure because i still have stock gears.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:18 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Could be syncro damage in the tranny or something wrong with the gears in the diff, like the diff moved inside and the gears arent aligned correctly. a friend had gear whine and it would whine mostly when deceling on the freeway around 70-80mph or so, like when he would accelerate and then let off the gas.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:19 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Also if you are doing hard launches with drag radials I would invest in the new diff cover with the studs that help hold the diff down. And some axle braces...
Old 04-19-2009, 12:41 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

does it sound like it coming from the front (tranny) or rear (diff), you may have already said but i didnt see it, what RPM's is it doing it at? high RPM's? cause it could just be the engine winding down some, but there must b something else.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:17 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

You were racing at the track, might have damaged something and you want Ford to pay for it?? You broke it.... pay for it! It's not Ford's problem
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 AM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

Thumbs down "Oh, I thought drag racing was covered under my warranty"?

I am in total agreement with GrayPony. Please read the manuals that came with the car. There is no provision in the warranty for damage resulting from abuse. Don't give me the crap that these vehicles were built to do this. "Man up" and be responsible for your actions and decisions.
If you don't know how to properly prepare a car to race it, don't go back to Ford and expect them to fix it.
Why do I appear so angered and what give me the authority to say this?.... I'm the person on the other side of the counter that you lie to when you bring in your car to complain there is a whining noise coming from the vehicle when you let of the throttle and "it should be covered under my waranty". Oh...and by the way, take the ET slips out of the glove box...we look for them in there...and be sure, if they used white shoe polish on your windows at the dragstrip to completely remove it from the glass. If you just scrape it of with a razor blade, it leaves a residue that can seen in the reflection of the light. Also, those little rubber shards from the rear tires also accumulate in other areas beside just the inner lip of the quarter panels...we look in those other places as well.
If somebody at the dealership (stealership) takes your precious little Mustang and scatters the pieces all over the shop floor and then tells you it not warranty..it's abuse, don't cry to Ford and complain on this forum or other places what *****y service you get from the dealer or what a *****y product Ford makes.
And in closing, if any of you others seem to get "the cold shoulder" or thinks the dealership prejudges you about how you use your car or the vehicle needs, people like him are the reason why....
Sorry, but people like this just **** me off....

Last edited by nicksfoursix; 04-19-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

well, for somebody who is so angry with people like me, you sure do give some great pointers on how to lie to the dealership. thanks for that.

i am also on the other side of the counter, like you. i'm a tech at a mercedes dealer. but the difference is, unless the car has physical damage or something is painfully obvious, we try no to be deusche-bags and just help people out and fix the car for them. and typically they will feel like they got lucky and not do it again.

besides, why not just fix it and get paid instead of argueing with the customer and potentially losing out on all the labor you have allready put into the job. after all, on a warranty job, the customer doesnt sign for any labor or "check out time" because it's warranty, so, no matter what anyone tells you, legally (at least here where i live) they are not responsible to pay anything unless they sign an estimate with a dollar figure on it.

but this thread was not made get your opinion on the way i will get it fixed, it was made to try to figure out what the problem is. if its the diff, i will just get some 4:10's put in it with the rear end girdle. it doesnt happen at any certain rpm, but it happens loudest at 45-50mph. the rpm is irrelivant because it doesnt affect the noise i'm hearing.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If all you wanted was hints on what might have gone wrong, why did you bring up the issue of who was going to be financially responsible for the repair?
i still have warranty on the car, so i'm gonna revert back to stock, clean the tire rubber off the rear wheel wells and quarter panels, and see if they will fix it and hopefully not try to pin me with the bill.
Whether or not you work in a service dep't with more liberal warranty policies isn't really relevant to your own problem, given how few M-B owners have manual transmissions and/or run them at the local dragstrip. I'd guess that there isn't a whole lot of parts traffic in shift kits and trans-brakes for them either. And if I'm not mistaken, the more powerful M-B cars are torque-managed at least in 1st gear to protect against damage sort of like this. My point being that your experience necessarily differs from that of your counterpart at the Ford (or Chevy, or Dodge) dealership. So don't expect the same policy to apply.

FWIW, even though I'm an engineer by education and profession, I've worked in a dealership service department between engineering jobs, so I've got some basis for comment here as well. I suspect if it was me doing a pre-service inspection, which was part of that job, I'd notice some give-away or other. And my position was "if I saw something, I wrote it down".

For debugging this problem, what I'm hearing is "whine involving the coast side of the gear tooth profile", and it's almost certainly in the diff.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-19-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: I think I broke something. please help.