Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine bogging after cold start

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Question engine bogging after cold start

I've noticed over the last few weeks, my car has been giving me some trouble after a cold start. Usually it has to sit for over 8 hours or overnight, enough to make the engine and exhaust stone cold. I'm not sure where the problem is coming from, my guess is either the fuel pump, BAP, fuel filter or some other related part. I'm hoping on some feedback from others that have experienced the same hesitation.

Only on a very cold start here are some strange phenomenons i've noticed:
- I can hear a high-pitch tone coming from the BAP. I can hear it from outside my car over 10 feet away.
- During normal to moderate acceleration, the engine will sound like it's bogging down. Then three seconds later, I can hear my BAP get louder and then my normal boost of power will kick in.
- My fuel pressure gauge reads normal, but I have to test that one again.
- My narrow band a/f gauge is pinned to the red during the hesitation (3-4 seconds. After I hear the BAP get louder, the narrow band gauge does it's usual light show.
- Before these issue, my wheels would spin half a rotation under the same acceleration.
- All symptoms go completely away when car reaches full operating temperature.

I used to get a good kick of power the moment I accelerated, even in the winter. I'm planning on changing my fuel filter when it stops raining, but are there any other tests I can try

Last edited by Jersey Stang; 04-21-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Any suggestions where to start looking?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Midnight Express
2nd Gear Member

ive noticed that mine does that too after cold starts. Your guess is as good as mine. almost sounds like a bad fuel filter.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:21 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

i was going to say do the fuel filter first and see what that does. only takes like 15 min anyway. Maybe clean your MAF and throttle body while your at it as well and see what difference that makes.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

I don't think its intake related cos all problems go away when the engine is a full operating temperature...
Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

true. start with your fuel filter and see if that helps it out. you running the stock fuel pump still with the BAP or did you get an upgraded pump put in?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

I'm still using a stock pump with a BAP.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

ive never dealt with BAP's but im thinking of getting one to run a bigger shot of nitrous soon. have you tried asking this question on some of the other forums?? lots of guys that can help you out if nobody here has answers for you...
Old 04-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

I haven't yet...I'll keep it on this forum for a few days first. The problem is I don't know how to diagnose a fuel pump or BAP. After installing the BAP, I could only hear the hum if I put my ear in the trunk. Now, its so loud that something has to be wrong. But I don't know if its the pump not working and the BAP going into overdrive or if the BAP is not running at full capacity. Its strange, the fuel pressure is there, but it's running lean (only on a very cold start). I haven't had any CEL on lean conditions, but I really don't want to wait for that to happen.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 AM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

hmmm I experience the same symptoms. I have a BAP as well. The only thing that would pull me away from the filter idea is that if there were some blockage then idle would suffer all the way up to wot wouldnt it?

Quick Reply: engine bogging after cold start