Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer told me I need new brakes and fuel filter.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Geeeeez, just get your fuel filter and brake pads (if you need 'em) at your local parts store and change them.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 AM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Just changed the fuel filter today. Very easy to do. I will prob. try and change the pads later on. When my new rims and tires arrive in a few weeks.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=jwog666;6154603]
Originally Posted by Art161

so in that line of thinking ford would have to pay for all your oil changes under warranty.

well they dont, you stand corrected.

for an aftermarket part to effect the warranty it has to be a proven cause of a failure. and as far as replacing it under warranty, the filter is a maintenance item and is not covered. no scum sucking lawyer can bend the law to make that work.
No, for oil they say that the oil need only meet Ford specification WSS-M2C929-A (V6) or WSS-M2C930-A (GT) and have the API Certification Mark. For spark plugs, they say that they must meet Ford material and design specifications for your vehicle, such as Motorcraft or equivalent replacement parts. And so on. The fuel filter is the only item that I recall where they say to use a Motorcraft, without giving an alternative.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:04 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on changing your own filter. If your pads arent worn then dont bother wasting your time and money on new ones. I have 58k miles on mine and theyre still running strong. Now thats with nearly all highway use too. Everyones wear different, but Ill almost guarantee that yours arent ready. Unless you ride with your foot on the brakes like everyone else said. Pads can be changed in less time than your filter btw. I think its actually one of the easiest things you can do to your car.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:32 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Well that's good to know about the pads. With that do you have to fully remove the caliper or can u just remove the bottom bolt and lift it up off the pads to replace them.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

The Owner's Guide says:

"FUEL FILTER

...Replace the fuel filter with an authorized Motorcraft part. The customer warranty may be void for any damage to the fuel system if an authorized Motorcraft fuel filter is not used."

I think that federal law says that the manufacturer must give you the part at no charge if the manufacturer specifies that only one brand can be used to keep the warranty in force.

Scheduled maintenance calls for replacement of the fuel filter at 30,000 miles, so a replacement at 24,000 miles is not unreasonable.
Originally Posted by jwog666
no they are not required to give you a free fuel filter. yes the recommended interval is 30,000mi. get a second opinion on the brakes, they shouldnt be worn out yet. unless you drive like like a spaz.
[quote=Art161;6154260]
no they are not required to give you a free fuel filter.QUOTE]

Is there a consumer products attorney in the house? It seems to be a close call. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states, "...No warrrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name..."

The Ford Warranty Guide says, "...To have repairs made under this warranty, you may have to show that you have followed Ford's instructions on properly maintaining and using your vehicle. You will find these instructions in your Owner Guide and Scheduled Maintenance Guide..."

The Owner's Guide does not condition the voiding of the warranty upon showing that the non-Motorcraft fuel filter was the cause of a fuel system problem.

Thus the statement in my previous post that Ford may have to give you the fuel filter at no charge.
[quote=jwog666;6154603]

so in that line of thinking ford would have to pay for all your oil changes under warranty.

well they dont, you stand corrected.

for an aftermarket part to effect the warranty it has to be a proven cause of a failure. and as far as replacing it under warranty, the filter is a maintenance item and is not covered. no scum sucking lawyer can bend the law to make that work.
[quote=Art161;6155034]

No, for oil they say that the oil need only meet Ford specification WSS-M2C929-A (V6) or WSS-M2C930-A (GT) and have the API Certification Mark. For spark plugs, they say that they must meet Ford material and design specifications for your vehicle, such as Motorcraft or equivalent replacement parts. And so on. The fuel filter is the only item that I recall where they say to use a Motorcraft, without giving an alternative.
How about you guys take it to PM's if you want to further discuss this in this thread.....
help the OP and he has already changed the fuel filter and will do the brakes in the next few weeks.

OP- congrats on the new fuel filter and post up when you get the new rims and new brake pads!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

You need to fully remove the caliper. The reason is because your new pads are thicker than the old ones your removing so you'll need some channel lock pliers to compress the pistons so you can slide in the new ones. 2 bolts hold the calipers on. Its a wicked fast thing to do once you've done it once or twice. Check your local parts stores for the best price. I've got a local store that sells motorcraft parts for 1/2 of what ford charges. They supply the local shops. Look for a place like that when the time comes instead of autozone.