Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into the GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Default Looking into the GT

In the coming months I'm looking into purchasing a GT, preferrably a '09, since the prices have been coming down. I currently have a '07 Automatic V6. My question is should I get a manual, even though I don't know how to drive shift? I've been wanting a manual for some time, but I'm afraid I might mess the car up, and I don't want to pay the +650 extra to make it an automatic, like I did with the V6.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 PM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

Totally go with the Manual. I learned how to drive a stick in one day with a beater. Its not too hard and youll get used to it in no time if you really love driving. Driving a stick is like no other feeling, a total control over your machine and what it does. If you're buying a GT , youll be cheating yourself by getting an auto.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

i'd say if you're looking to get a gt, a) try it out in manual at a dealership, and b) while you're there, look at some 08's. they slashed the msrp on a similar model (all options and packages) to mine by half. i was somewhat distraught, but still had a smile at the end of the day cuz i put all 18,400 miles on the car...except for the 11 that came on the car. hahaha
Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Put it this way. I purchased my 2008 GT brand new on the lot in Feb 08. Never drove stick in my life. Bought the car had the salesman drive me to a parking lot to show me how to drive it. Stalled out once. Had it down pat and drove it home in 30 minutes.

Driving 5 speed in these cars is a piece of cake. The transmissions in these cars and motors are both very very durable. Also a replacement transmission brand new i believe is like 700-800 or something insanely low like that.

The 09's are nice if you want a 45th edition. The 2010's are also out and about, so i don't know if those are your cup of tea either. If you don't care about owning a 45th edition really, i don't think there are like any TSB's or major recalls/problems between the 08's and 09's like there are say with a 05 and a 08. So if you can live without the 45th badges and whatnot, you can slash your prices even further down and just get a loaded 08.

Edit: Other incentive to go with a 08 is the extra money saved you can always use for mods.

Last edited by cegha; 04-26-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:31 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

7-800 Insanely cheap?

If you want a standard mustang please learn to drive a stick before you buy the car. Yes driving a stick is easy to learn and do but will you want that once you've learned how to drive one? What kind of traffic will you be driving in? Sometimes I'm in traffic so bad it's like I'm working the clutch to the beat of the stereo.

I wouldn't own a mustang unless it had 8 cylinders and a standard tranny.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mudvayne1
7-800 Insanely cheap?

If you want a standard mustang please learn to drive a stick before you buy the car. Yes driving a stick is easy to learn and do but will you want that once you've learned how to drive one? What kind of traffic will you be driving in? Sometimes I'm in traffic so bad it's like I'm working the clutch to the beat of the stereo.

I wouldn't own a mustang unless it had 8 cylinders and a standard tranny.
Ever seen prices on what it costs to get trannys replaced and worked on in other cars. Like $1000's. So yea. For a BRAND NEW transmission for our high performance cars. I don't think that's bad at all.

I just quickly pulled a quick search for charger transmissions and one was $1600 for OEM slightly used. The other was $2300.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Driving a manual is so incredibly easy it's not even funny.

Driving a manual fast and properly is a whole other story.

So if you don't concentrate on speed and quality at first you'll be able to learn easily. Just focus on getting from point A to point B.

To be honest I have no idea why people complain with driving a mustang in traffic. All you have to do is short shift from 1st to 3rd and this takes the car all the way up to the limit in any city. This ISN'T noticeably bad for your transmission because the mustang manual isn't some piece of * that's easy to break. 44k miles of short shifting this hasn't done anything for me and I drive harder than most and work the synchros hard. If you'll notice your MPG will only drop from 15 to 13 using this technique which at most costs you $273 a year if you'd be in traffic all the time, which you won't.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I just got a 2007 black gt this saturday, after my 2006 v6 was totalled. Get the manual, get a low mileage car whatever you do. We drive em hard.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

if a manual is something you've been wanting for sometime, don't settle for anything else or you will have regrets everytime you drive it...
Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Being you are in NYC or will be, i highly suggest against the manual. Yes it is great the first few months but after awhile it really gets old with the traffic.

Do yourself a big favor, before buying a new mustang, by some cheap peice of crap car that is manual, drive it for a few months and see how you feel about manual after that.

I wish I could have a manual again, but DC traffic and having to drive into DC everyday and around DC and VA Metro area it would just be to much again. To much traffic in this area and coming originaly from NY myself, I can tell you that it would drive you crazy after awhile.

Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
In the coming months I'm looking into purchasing a GT, preferrably a '09, since the prices have been coming down. I currently have a '07 Automatic V6. My question is should I get a manual, even though I don't know how to drive shift? I've been wanting a manual for some time, but I'm afraid I might mess the car up, and I don't want to pay the +650 extra to make it an automatic, like I did with the V6.