Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apparently S197s were designed for the desert

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Default Apparently S197s were designed for the desert

So, most of you have heard of, or experienced the horror stories about the infamous water leak that soaks the SJB. Yeah, I have first hand experience. Well, looks like that's indicative of Ford's attitude toward the S197s and water drainage.

Had to change a rear turn signal bulb today, and I discovered a little gem of automotive design.

Those of you with daily drivers will know the area I'm talking about. Ya know that spot where you see that all the leaves and junk have gathered when you open the trunk? It's on either side right behind the tail lights. Well, all the leaves and junk have gathered there because all the water that flows off the top of the car is directed to the area just behind and under the trunk lid and redirected to either side to drain down behind the tail lights and bumper.

The four key words in that last paragraph? "behind the tail lights". Yeah, that's right. All the water that drains off the back of the car is directed into a little waterfall that showers the wiring harness behind the tail lights. Does anybody else see a flaw in that design?

This picture isn't great. I took it with my phone, and I had to hold a flashlight to get a shot. But, I wanted to illustrate what I was talking about.

Last edited by digitalcos; 02-23-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The harness and lights are water sealed so there's no problem there. I replaced my harnesses with the sequentials so I know what it looks like down there and there's no way water is going to damage anything unless the harness is torn up somehow.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Well, yeah, it's sealed. sure. It should be sealed "Just in case" it gets wet. But, to design the car to intentionally soak the wiring harness? How about designing it so the harness, oh, I don't know... stays dry.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

SirKnight is right...

What's your point anyway?
Every single lamp on most cars get wet.
You think the back of the headlamps stay dry when it rains?

Last edited by pascal; 04-28-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

I seriously can't believe I'm alone on this one.

Yeah, all the ends of the harness that lead to lights should be sealed because they're likely to encounter some water. I understand that. But, what Ford did in this case is literally place the end of the wiring harness under a rain gutter. Why not direct the water somewhere other than onto an electrical component?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

As long as you clean out that area around the trunk (I just vacuum it out every time I clean my car) nothing ever builds up in there, and the water flows below/past all the wiring and doesn't cause any issues.

Besides that, like everyone has mentioned, everything is sealed (the wiring, the back of the light, etc) so water can splash on there all it wants and it will never cause any problems.

Just clean it out from time to time and it will never be an issue.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by digitalcos

Yeah, all the ends of the harness that lead to lights should be sealed because they're likely to encounter some water. I understand that. But, what Ford did in this case is literally place the end of the wiring harness under a rain gutter. Why not direct the water somewhere other than onto an electrical component?
The harness is well insulated though...
The critical spots would be by the 3 socket terminals and the connection point inside the trunk, which are not under water drips.
Everything in between won't take water.

The area where the leaves etc... congregates, will rust out before you have electrical problems.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 PM
thuxel
2nd Gear Member

I live in the desert.
What is this water you speak of?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos
No you're not. I understand what you're saying, and I understand what everyone else is saying. You're not questioning the effectiveness of the design and whether or not it works, you're just simply asking WHY it was designed like that in the first place.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

What I've circled in the pic is one of the socket points, directly in the path of the water. Now, even if that's reasonably well sealed, to me that's like "It's okay if you shoot me. I'm wearing kevlar." How 'bout you just don't shoot me?

Quick Reply: Apparently S197s were designed for the desert