Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident, pics inside. Estimate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:27 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

the quarter can come off? i thought the quarter panel was all part of the car and that the only option was to buff it out and bondo it up, then repaint.

2000 doesn't seem too bad, just wish the damage was closer to the front bumper so i could spend the money towards a conversion.

i'm not sure about the a47's, but i do know that i'm going to want to replace the mirror ASAP.

as for the fender, know any good shops to order it from? i'm trying to purchase all the parts beforehand so they don't try to over-charge me for parts.

i just want to pay for labor and paint.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

I'm thinking closer to $2500.

Here in SF Bay area, I just got a $2000 estimate for repainting the rear bumper, trunk, spoiler, rear quarter panel, and blending in the door. There were like 3 spots where the paint got fractured out from eggs.

Lots of remove and install just to do that work.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
I'm not so edumacated on repair pricing, but I do know it would be a wise choice to get Agent 47 mirrors instead of getting the stock ones again.
I did mention that already.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

man.... sorry to see that. I was replacing my upper CA Wednesday night. finished it up around 10pm and didn't want to crank my car to get it off the ramps (live in a condo and didn't want to disturb the neighbors). That was a very stupid mistake, rolled it off the ramps watching my rear space and hitting the handbrake on the way down. Look over and my driver door went thru the sheetrock on the garage wall a few inches. I figure hell, just some sheetrock scratches, no problem I can buff them out. Not so lucky... it bent the upper edge of my door about 1 inch on the top 4-5 inches near the window. I was so f-in pissed off I was stupid enough to let that happen....my car was PERFECT! Everywhere I take it for work they comment on how I must keep it garaged (which I do both at home and work).

I'm calling progressive monday and it will probably cost me my $500 deductible to have it repaired. I know how you feel...
Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

it's a pretty shoddy feeling. all i know is, i gotta go to class on monday and then go to a ton of body shops to quote around. hopefully i can find a good place to take care of everything. i just really don't want waves or crap like that in my paint once it's done.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by bodyman
that's why alot of shop's use cheap crap clear over the base coat.
So what can I ask to make sure that doesn't happen in the future?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly
I'm thinking closer to $2500.

Here in SF Bay area, I just got a $2000 estimate for repainting the rear bumper, trunk, spoiler, rear quarter panel, and blending in the door. There were like 3 spots where the paint got fractured out from eggs.

Lots of remove and install just to do that work.
doesn't sound too bad, thanks for the help.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:27 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

If they replace the quarter they will probably cut out the old one up near the b pillar and weld in the new one, grind down the welds, bondo and paint. Bondo is NOT a bad thing when done right. They might just try to pull it and bend it back into shape, bondo, paint. Either way you are looking at a whole new re spray for the side probably.

2000-2500 sounds about right for labor and parts.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:57 PM
wolfie
1st Gear Member

That is minimal damage. They won't replace the 1/4 for that. A good body shop will pull and shape that with minimal bondo. My only concern would be the quality of the paint work. You have one hell of a nice shine on that paint, make sure you get a qualified painter to finish it. Less than $2000 is my guess.

Last edited by wolfie; 05-03-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wolfie
That is minimal damage. They won't replace the 1/4 for that. A good body shop will pull and shape that with minimal bondo. My only concern would be the quality of the paint work. You have one hell of a nice shine on that paint, make sure you get a qualified painter to finish it. $2500 is my guess.
thanks! that was like the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day. i've been beating myself up for the past couple of hours. i'm glad to hear that i won't have to replace a quarter panel, but i did find one for 384.83 (so there's a backup plan)

Quick Reply: Accident, pics inside. Estimate?