Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a quick answer for stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:30 PM
balls8302
1st Gear Member

Default need a quick answer for stupid question

i guess i could say i've been lucky enough up til now that i've never used any sort of fix a flat type products but i've got a tire that slowly leaks air but the can of fix-a-flat says not to use on z-rated tires and i'm still rollin on the stock z-rated zero nero's. guess i'm asking if it work alright with the stock pirelli's and everything be ok to drive on?

like i said stupid question
Old 05-11-2009, 04:44 PM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

spare tire ftw!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:51 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

take it to a tire shop and have them find where its leaking and fix it. fix a flat is crap.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:53 PM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

You can buy a plug kit for about $5 and fix the leak....I don't like the liquid stuff, they make a mess and usually only fix the problem for a day or two.

Take the tire off, run some water over it to find the leak....take the spiral tool and clean the hole out real good, and make it a little bigger!!! then plug it, it'll work just fine.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:19 PM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

Soap and water in a spay bottle works great, check the valve stem 1st. Fix-a-flat is highly NOT recommended for alloy wheels, and the tire. Use of fix-a-flat for a long period of time will deteriorate both the wheel and tire. The design of that product is meant for temporary use, just like your spare tire.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Like others have said, Fix-A-Flat is a temporary fix and will eventually cause more problems. Just take it to a shop and get it fixed.

Also, the Fix-A-Flat will cause your tire to become out of balance even if you follow the instructions perfectly.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gatkins94
You can buy a plug kit for about $5 and fix the leak....I don't like the liquid stuff, they make a mess and usually only fix the problem for a day or two.

Take the tire off, run some water over it to find the leak....take the spiral tool and clean the hole out real good, and make it a little bigger!!! then plug it, it'll work just fine.
If a tire has a puncture, or if it has been running at significantly underinflated pressure for any reason, the tire needs to be dismounted from the wheel. The tire needs to be inspected for interior damage.

A proper puncture repair consists of both a patch applied to the interior of the tire and also a plug. Sometimes it is fine to use a "mushroom" repair that has the patch and plug as one piece. This depends on the angle of entry of the foreign object. If it went in pretty straight, then the "mushroom" is the way to go. If it went in at an angle of more than 15-25 degrees (you can read different angles in different places), then you need to use a separate patch and plug.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Fix-a-Flat is a temporary fix product and should only be used in emergencies such as when you're in the middle of Bumfu*k Egypt at 2 am. Both fix-a-flat and plugs will typically cause imbalance issues in addition to other problems stated in the previous posts.

+1 on taking it to a tire shop.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:26 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by balls8302
i guess i could say i've been lucky enough up til now that i've never used any sort of fix a flat type products but i've got a tire that slowly leaks air but the can of fix-a-flat says not to use on z-rated tires and i'm still rollin on the stock z-rated zero nero's. guess i'm asking if it work alright with the stock pirelli's and everything be ok to drive on?

like i said stupid question
I wouldn't use fix-a-flat...........ever............................... ever ever....

and if I was working at a tire shop, and had to replace the tire of a person who put fix-a-flat in it, I would probably slay them right there with a torque wrench.

It's some nasty horrible stuff.

Most tire places will assess the damage and repair at a low cost.....as recommended above....take it to a shop and do it the right way.

Last edited by thedrod; 05-12-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:32 AM
DarkGaV6
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the fix a flat only when in B F E. A good repair shop should not charge much to find and fix it.

Quick Reply: need a quick answer for stupid question