Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help a total noobie lost wife that wants to surprise her husband

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:00 PM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
your an awesome wife, its impressive you are putting this much thought into something like this, here is my .02 carmax is a rip off, when I looked at toyota siennas there last year they wanted more for a 3 yr old used ones than I could buy a new one for, all other cars were extremely over priced as well, honestly I think they suck

ok with that out of the way, the first rule of used car buying is to know what a new one costs, so you can weigh how good a deal you are getting. I would suggest looking at new ones, as most of the guys on here are too proud of their cars to get realistic on price. the other day some guy wanted 19k for his '05 model GT, look around and if you are willing to travel a bit, this car can be had for 13,500 or maybe even less.

I would suggest looking at brand new '09 models, the current incentive is 3500 last time I looked, If you find something you want, do all negotiations over the phone with the salesman, this way they can't bully you, also invoice price is 10.5 % off window sticker price, DONOT pay more than invoice price LESS incentives!!!!!!!! here is where doing it over the phone is your ace card, you will get alot less arm twisting,

last time I looked the 09 5 speed trans premium GT's( I have actually never been able to even find a base GT) stickered locally around here for right at 32k,

32k sticker = invoice of 28640
less $3500 incentive
=max sales price of $25140
this is for a decently loaded brand new '09, so whoever posted 21k for their 06, dude there is no way.
if you can find an '08 model still left over on the lot, $6500 is what I hear the latest incentive is on that.

I would most likely start out $500 below invoice and incentive price, if they say no, and you want the car make um throw in some oil changes or something, I love making salesman squirm, next watch out for the finance manager, he is the next layer of money grabbing after you have worked them over on price, basically don't agree to anything he wants, watch for dealer fees, no on gap insurance and no extended warranties, check with your bank to make sure the rate is competitive.

most people do not buy their new cars right as a result they need too much money to sell them anytime within the first 3 yrs or so, I can't tell you how many times I see 1-2 yr old cars on lots for considerably more than a new one could be bought for.

there you go, steve's book on buying a new car, and yes I learned all of that over the years unfortunately without even a little Vaseline, if you have any more questions PM me, the guide above also works for other makes, including honda and yotas
That is the most informative post I have seen in a while great advice
I myself have sold cars so I know the ins/outs basically in today's market if your armed with lots of info and know what you want you can make the dealer come to terms with you just hold your line and don't do anything they want you to unless you want to.
edit I nominate this lady for wife of the year
edit I agree that getting him the car is a better idea than buying a modded stang that way you two can mod together and hopefully enjoy the time. That's what my wife and I do and it works pretty well
Old 05-14-2009, 04:40 AM
evily

I'm not that great, he is and he deserves it Like I said before I've learned some hard car buying lessons in the past and will not settle for less than exactly what I (he) want(s). I've done quite a bit of research in the past couple of days and have found a lot of great information thanks to you all!!

So, he may not get it by father's day but the ball is at least rolling now.

I came across this one and it made me drool a bit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...|39:1|240:1318

Last edited by evily; 05-14-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by evily
I'm not that great, he is and he deserves it Like I said before I've learned some hard car buying lessons in the past and will not settle for less than exactly what I (he) want(s). I've done quite a bit of research in the past couple of days and have found a lot of great information thanks to you all!!

So, he may not get it by father's day but the ball is at least rolling now.
I have dibs on you if things don't work out with your current relationship.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

wow, one day I hopefully find a wife like you