Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the question asked 100 times!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:16 PM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

Question the question asked 100 times!!

okay so im thinking about possibly supercharging my car in the future. i wanna know a few things considering its hard to find a sc kit for a s197 besides a roush kit... 1, what is the best bang for the buck sc kit to hit between 400-450hp (please post name, price and link).
2, should i get a top or side mount sc kit?(i know that isnt the correct term) 3, i wanna know what to expect from a supercharged s197.(ive only been in sc foxes)

thanks guys, Ryan
Old 05-16-2009, 08:07 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:06 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobrakiller347
okay so im thinking about possibly supercharging my car in the future. i wanna know a few things considering its hard to find a sc kit for a s197 besides a roush kit... 1, what is the best bang for the buck sc kit to hit between 400-450hp (please post name, price and link).
2, should i get a top or side mount sc kit?(i know that isnt the correct term) 3, i wanna know what to expect from a supercharged s197.(ive only been in sc foxes)

thanks guys, Ryan
What?! Theres so many choices dude. Whipple,kb,edelbrock,procharger,vortech,paxton,sal een that i can think of right now. I KNOW theres more. Now that i think about it, i rarely see the roush one...

The correct term is twin screw or centrifugal. The twin screw will give you all the power in all the rpms. The centri will increase power as the rpms raise (kinda like a turbo)

I prefer the centri so you dont have AS BAD tractoin problems. jmo.

EDIT: (That kit posted up top is a centri)
Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 PM
JK59GT2000
Banned

cant go wrong with a vortech or kb.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:13 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

thanks for those links Bruce and the difference between the top mount S/C's is that they are called twin screw S/C's (KB and whipple, etc)...with instant TQ off the line and a very linear torque curve. The side mount ones you speak of are Centri S/C's(paxton, vortech, procharger etc) and they build boost as the engine RPM's rise.

Decide between which of the 2 types above you want and then do more research from there. Bruce is right the Vortech will get in you the range you want and is the cheapest. If you upgrade later on you can get meth inj and have up to 470RWHP with the non IC version at 12 psi.
http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html

Manywill tell you to get the intercooled version of any S/C you choose as it has future upgrade ability for more HP with just a belt/pulley change and is what I would recommend regardless of what type of FI you use!

Decide what you want to use the extra HP for and post back here so we can better direct you in the future

Last edited by mygt500; 05-16-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u
What?! Theres so many choices dude. Whipple,kb,edelbrock,procharger,vortech,paxton,sal een that i can think of right now. I KNOW theres more. Now that i think about it, i rarely see the roush one...

The correct term is twin screw or centrifugal. The twin screw will give you all the power in all the rpms. The centri will increase power as the rpms raise (kinda like a turbo)

+1

http://www.brenspeed.com/v3vortech.html

You'd also want to look into suspension upgrades, professional install and dyno tune, and better tires.

Prepare to sh*t in your pants, I've been in a Saleen blown S197 with the 475 HP package, and was literally flying up till 150 MPH when the driver let off.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:20 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u

Not sure which S/C your talking about but the roush S/C is a roots type S/C and is close to the twin screw types (but not as efficient IMO)
Old 05-16-2009, 10:04 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 PM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

i like the vortech kit but dont like the thought of having to wait for the added power,but on the other hand i would greatly help with traction wich will become an issue. i really like the whipples but they are very pricey...i would do the install myself and have my local shop dyno tune the car. im looking for something thats street/strip. basically i wanna **** off alot of local imports and throw up some good 1/4 mile times. suspension wise ill be honest i dk jack about it. so far the vortech looks like the one i may get
Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Im planning on going FI next summer! ill surely be getting the vortech V3.. good price and it sounds so friggin sweet! HAHA

Quick Reply: the question asked 100 times!!