Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Automatic stang owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 AM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

Default Question for Automatic stang owners

Whenever the car is in park, and i depress the brake pedal so that i can put it in reverse,then drive, right when i touch the pedal, i get a single tick noise in the shifter handle.
i understand that they're both interconnected due to the fact that the pedal needs to be depressed for the shifter to be able to move. though is the tick noise normal?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:29 AM
RobbieCopp
1st Gear Member

I have that noise too. I'm almost positive it's just the little lock inside the shifter unlocking.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:41 AM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

yeah i figured. though i wasn;t sure if i heard it before or not.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure if the interlock between the two is a solenoid or what but I have a similar feel/noise with my 4Runner.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

To be honest, I believe most cars do that when you press the brake pedal. Like you said, some kind of safety switch to release the shifter.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:03 AM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

Mine as well. No problem.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'm not sure if the interlock between the two is a solenoid or what but I have a similar feel/noise with my 4Runner.
I would imagine so, as there is a procedure to override this interlock that has you check for a blown fuse for the brake light circuit. The interlock actuator itself is not separately serviceable, but is part of the Selector Lever Assembly.
Originally Posted by 2008 FSM
Brake Shift Interlock System
The brake shift interlock mechanism is used on vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. This system is used to prevent shifting from PARK unless the brake pedal is depressed. The brake shift interlock system consists of an actuator attached to the key interlock assembly and necessary wiring. The brake shift interlock actuator is energized when the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position, locking the floor mounted selector lever in the PARK position. When the brake pedal is depressed, the brake shift interlock actuator is deactivated and the floor mounted selector lever can be moved out of the PARK position.
Just another damn "nanny" that you're stuck with because of a few drivers who are too stupid to figure out how to do a smart thing on their own. I don't like the clutch starter interlock on my manual tranny car any better for the same reason.

Norm
Old 05-17-2009, 11:10 AM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

oh you can override it? i would like that.

i have an 89 deville where i can shift without the brake pedal, and nothing bad happens.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:27 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The over-ride is not a convenience option. It's not like it's a simple switch that disables that feature.

It's actually a plastic arm that when you press down on (to the right of the shifter under the tab) will move forward to force the actuator to get out of the way. Using that every time instead of the brake would be a major pain in the ***. It's only there for emergencies.

Pressing the brake is a smart thing to do before moving the shifter anyway so I don't see what the big deal is TBH.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Maybe it's because having all of these gadgets to help keep stupid people from doing stupid things is only going to result in drivers being even less knowledgeable about what they're supposed to be doing. Whole generations will never know that the real reason is that you should be sharp enough to protect yourself against a sudden lurch forward or backward and that substantial brake pedal force might be required. They're only learning that you have to touch the brake pedal lightly so you can physically move the shift lever into a useful position. It mostly "solves" one problem for the witless by teaching the wrong lesson to everybody.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-17-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: re-worded slightly

Quick Reply: Question for Automatic stang owners