Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't you lift by differential?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:48 AM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Default Why can't you lift by differential?

Reading FAQ page (very informative).

Downloaded manual. What's the problem with lifting by the diff? Is it a saftety issue (slip off). Surely it's not a strength issue on the diff?

This is my primary way of lifting.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:54 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

The main issue is that you can pinch the differential cover, tweak it, and viola, fluid leak.......

I believe if you stay off the cover, you should be ok.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:14 AM
needforspeed3
1st Gear Member

Default Lifting

Like he said you can lift it that way I have for 3 years no telling how many times. Just take a second to make sure the floor jack is positioned correctly.
Steve
Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 AM
blackcrow

Originally Posted by mlcrycc
The main issue is that you can pinch the differential cover, tweak it, and viola, fluid leak.......

I believe if you stay off the cover, you should be ok.
...ditto!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Get a good block of wood and make sure not to pinch the cover as others have said. Take your time lifting it and be careful.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:20 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I'm staying off that thread, lol...
Old 05-17-2009, 10:49 AM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Guys, the axle just wasn't built to hold up the weight of the car from the diff. You don't have to know a lot about cars to see that. It's simple physics.

This is an over-simplification, but I'll try to illustrate it. Take a six foot long piece of rebar. This will stand in as our axle. Now put one end in a vice and try to twist it like a twizzler.

Not going to be very easy, is it? This is the kind of torque exerted on the axle when you're driving. It's got a lot of strength when it comes to that kind of force. That's what it's built for.

Now, as far as it holding up the car, let's get four cinder blocks to stand in for the weight of the car, and the wheels. spread two of the cinder blocks just under six feet apart and bridge the two with the rebar. This is is our wheel/axle set up. Then take the other two cinder blocks and put them on top of the bottom cinder blocks with the rebar between them. This is how the weight of the car is distributed normally.

Not much risk of the rebar bending is there? Now time to lift by the diff. Get rid of one of the bottom/wheel cinder blocks and put the other in the center to stand in for your jack.

How long before that rebar starts to bend?

The diff has a spot for a jack to hold up the weight of the axle while the car is on a lift or jack stands to work on the axle or suspension etc. It's not there to jack up and support the weight of the car. Now, you can tell me how you've been doing that for years now, and how your father did it, and his father before him. I'm just going to say, good luck.

I hope I made some kinda sense. I have my doubts.

Last edited by digitalcos; 05-17-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Regardless of whether this is a terrible thing to do or not. Good luck finding a car that hasn't been lifted this way. Mine was before I bought it either by the previous owner or a shop he took it to. I guarantee it isn't the only one either.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It pretty much comes down to whether you let your own haste and laziness con you into taking a short cut or if you're committed to doing any job to the highest standards.

There may be enough margin designed in to the axle assembly against things like distortion, fatigue, cracks, and leaks. Or maybe (long term) there isn't. I can't say either way, but since I hate having to fix avoidable screw-ups . . .

I probably have jacked the back end of a car up by the pumpkin. Once, maybe twice in 45 years, and I think the count will stay frozen at whichever it is.

Norm
Old 05-17-2009, 11:34 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Don't jack on your pumpkin.

Quick Reply: Why can't you lift by differential?