Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford dealer re-calibrate engine, Ford Racing CAI?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:52 PM
SLVSTNG09
2nd Gear Member

Default Ford dealer re-calibrate engine, Ford Racing CAI?

I was thinking about buying one of the following Ford Racing Cold Air Intakes:

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=684cPath=85
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=685cPath=85

If I take it to a Ford dealership can they calibrate my car to work with these official parts? I understand if a fee is included, I just really don't want to shell out 400 bucks for a tuner.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First of all, the Ford CAI's you link to require a tune but do not come with a tuner. You'll need one, regardless. Best bet (and bang-for-the-buck) is to buy a CAI & tune combo from Brenspeed or Bama. There is an FRPP CAI & tune package but it's performance gains aren't up to par with other aftermarket tuners like Bama, Brenspeed, VMP, etc.

"Official parts..." LOL!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

I guarantee you that your gunna pay more to have the Ford house tune you car. Get an SCT/Intake package from Brenspeed/Bama. Plus, they provide more horsepower than the ProCal tool.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 PM
gabb
1st Gear Member

I have the first one and love it. I did the install myself, took 10 mins to install. I already had a tuner so I ordered an email tune from Bama, you just need to let them know that you have the Ford Racing CAI.

I love the look of this CAI and the fit and finish is top notch.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:29 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

What I would recommend is to buy the first cai (I have this one and love it) and then take it to a dyno shop to get a dyno tune with a tuner so that you can have a few different tunes. I was gonna do what you did but for a few $$ more you can get a better tune from an aftermarket tuning shop. If your dead set against it you also have to buy a Ford tuner with a packaged tune for the intake for another $300 + anyway. Here is what I would do if you want a canned tune with that intake..

http://shoptillman.com/products/Bull...GT-135-39.html
Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by topbliss
What I would recommend is to buy the first cai (I have this one and love it) and then take it to a dyno shop to get a dyno tune with a tuner so that you can have a few different tunes. I was gonna do what you did but for a few $$ more you can get a better tune from an aftermarket tuning shop. If your dead set against it you also have to buy a Ford tuner with a packaged tune for the intake for another $300 + anyway. Here is what I would do if you want a canned tune with that intake..

http://shoptillman.com/products/Bull...GT-135-39.html
For the same price you get Brenspeeds custom tuing:

http://www.brenspeed.com/3000bullitt.html

By far better than a canned tune from SCT.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 PM
SLVSTNG09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
First of all, the Ford CAI's you link to require a tune but do not come with a tuner. You'll need one, regardless. Best bet (and bang-for-the-buck) is to buy a CAI & tune combo from Brenspeed or Bama. There is an FRPP CAI & tune package but it's performance gains aren't up to par with other aftermarket tuners like Bama, Brenspeed, VMP, etc.

"Official parts..." LOL!
Official parts do not void your warranty. If it is a Ford Racing intake/tune then your warranty stays intact according to my sources.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Here are my 2 cents...I waited 3 yrs before I got a CAI/Tune (see sig)...not because of warranty issues, but because I did not want to spend the $$ and two, I did not know anything about tuners. After patiently waiting all this time and saving the bucks, I went ahead and did both (CAI/SCT Tuner).

I tell you, at first dealing with the tuner freaked me out... (yes Im a noob at that), but the instructions are straight forward and there's plenty of help to go around.

I've been with a CAI/Tune for about 1+ month. I can't be happier with my decision. Easy to flip back and forth between stock and tunes for warranty work...
Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

The dealer would have to prove that the problem was the parts fault, and then they dont have to do the work under warranty
Old 05-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SLVSTNG09
Official parts do not void your warranty. If it is a Ford Racing intake/tune then your warranty stays intact according to my sources.
Another warranty concern. It's amazing you wuss's even drive your car in traffic.

Educate yourself about car warranties, get a good CAI & tune so you can enjoy your $25K-$30K toy like you should and try not sport too much wood when you feel the difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford dealer re-calibrate engine, Ford Racing CAI?