Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning, cars fail inspection with tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingsofcrunk
I have a friend that works at Jiffy Lube. He passed me with LT's, o/r h, and expired insurance card (although I had a current one at home).

Great, that really helps the OP out.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:37 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Uhm ya, slip the guy a $50 or $100 and I'm sure you'll pass....belieeeeve me
Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 AM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Only certain parts of Virginia have an emissions inspection. The entire state has a yearly safety inspection, which I don't mind, since it prevent some of the issues the poster from South Carolina was talking about.

Could SCT help you out with the problem? I'm running Doug's tunes, but I also have the SCT tune that came loaded onto my XCal2, before I started running custom tunes. That one leaves the rear O2 sensors on, but is still tuned for my intake. I figure if VA ever went to an emissions inspection, then I could just switch to the SCT tune.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:08 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Great, that really helps the OP out.
i WAS helping him...

Moral of the story:

Find friends that work at an inspection shop

Old 05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Call Doug. tell him you need a emissions tune. Load it.You can even keep your off road pipe on and CAI. Drive straight to/ or when ever to the test station and you will pass. Just don't let them look down under to see if you have cats..Thats againts the law! lol. Trust me. It works fine. Then when you get home load your old tune back in. Give Doug a call.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:57 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

You CAN NOT pass a test with an offroad h-pipe! If you turn the 02 sensors off with the tune, then when they hook up to the OBD II port, it will read a "not ready" status like he said. If you leave the 02 sensors on, the car will have a CEL because the rear 02s will see no change from the front 02s and tell the computer that your cats are not operating correctly and you will FAIL. I think the PCM looks for ~.45 Volts feedback from the rear 02s to determine a correctly working catalytic converter. I don't know if this would work for sure, but you might be able to find out the input voltage and buy the correct resistor from radioshack for a dollar or two so that the return voltage is constant at .45V. You could also wire a potentiometer to it and turn the **** until the CEL goes away, but that would involve more wiring to hide. Maybe 157 dB will chime in since he seems to know the control units pretty well on this vehicle.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:14 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Doug will write you an emissions friendly tune ONLY if your mods warrant one and your car will not run with the stock tune. Like if you had cams/headers/CMDP....

If you only have a CAI and or gears....you simply return to stock, reinstall the stock airbox and complete some driving cycles. But, reloading the tune is the same as pulling the battery....it puts the sensors in "not ready" until you complete the driving cycles.

I know this for a fact...I reloaded the stock tune and 2 sensors were still "not ready". I drove around for over a week, then when I re-tested...every sensor was "ready"
Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

Okay, I can see replacing the CAI and backing out of a tune but what are the people with long tubes, different gears, and/or forced induction doing to pass state emissions? I cannot believe they are taking those add-ons back to stock every year just to pass the test, I wouldn't.

BB
Semper Fi

Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

As long as they have cats (high flow or stock) you can turn the rear o2s on and get everything to pass. Some LT headers may be a little more tricky b/c of their length though. Some are longer than others.

I don't see how you could pass w/ an O/R midpipe though.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:42 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

What are these emision test you all speak of?

Quick Reply: Warning, cars fail inspection with tune