Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my friend lieing to me??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Aren't you the guy who wanted to buy multiple parts for handling? If that's the case then 305 rear and 255 front will make your car terrible at taking a corner due to the front and rear sizing difference. It will both ruin your balance when turning, one of the keys to driving a car, and cause your car to snap overseer.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:18 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Talking

Oh yeah the tires on the back are D/R's, and definetly get the al.driveshaft. Mezziere electric water pump is a nice edition.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

This should help you in the tire diameter concern: http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

The various stock wheels on the S197 have an offset range of about 45-50 mm. I'm running 275/40/18's on a stock suspension with GT500 wheels and, as I've stated in other threads, you can fit a small child in my rear wheel wells.
Attached Thumbnails Is my friend lieing to me??-dsc01228cropped.jpg   Is my friend lieing to me??-dsc01229cropped.jpg  
Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 PM
TotoGT06
2nd Gear Member

Its best to find out here, if you see someone with a wheel style you like, ask what exactly they did with all their mods. If you see a performance part you like, ask if anyone installed it and what gains they got.

I had a friend I told I was getting a CAI when I first got the car and I needed to also get it retuned also to run correctly. He said I dont need a retune for an intake. But for our cars, things are different. So I dont trust anyone who doesnt drive or do work with Mustangs
Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
the tires wouldnt stick out and if they did itd b barley any, but 305's look sick, i cant comment on the cams as i havent looked into them since im a V6, but for the gears, it may sound louder when freeway driving, but if u take it to the tracks ul prob want the bigger gears, i like the sound of my exhaust and i do a decent amount of driving on the freeway, i usually dont cruise at that high of rpms though... the wide tires would go good with the 4.10's because alot of people complain about doin nothing but spinning there tires in 1st, but if you got a 305 setup then the extra traction would help u overcome that
pffft 305s, you should contemplate the 355's I'm putting on my car. Heck I'm talking 305's in the front with 5mm spacers as of this moment.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Margarita Girl
If you go with a 305/45 tire, you'll be increasing the overall height of the tire by over an inch. In effect, this will off set your gear ratio, i.e. the 4.10's will be more like 3.73's.

If you go with a 305/40/18 tire, the increase in height is less than half inch.

I have 285/40/18's on the back with 4.10 gears and drive around 75mph highway at 2,750 rmps.
according to discount tire direct's calculator going from a stock 245-55-17 to a 305-45-18 only adds .09" to the sidewall height. so when you were going 65mph on the old tire now you're going 67.8mph. for the overall tire height to go up an full inch you'd have to run a 305-55-18 to be over an inch difference.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...foTireMath.jsp

and as far as running a staggered size front and rear, 99% of sports cars run a staggered size, otherwise you're not gonna have grip in the rear. get some good tires and a good suspension setup and the car will be nice and planted. tires make more of a difference than anything. the stock tires on mine are 400 treadwear, they suck. I had 50 treadwear road race kumhovictoracers on my S2000 and the car was nuts on those
Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM
aloredo07
1st Gear Member

ok this one is for LEGION5. yeah man its the same guy. I'm deployed to iraq so i've been doing a lot of research on this thing. all i want is to be able to have a DD that will visit the track once in a while for now. So i know that if i lower my car i will need LCA and relocating brackets, panhard bar etc... I just dont want to buy something and not be happy with it. I can't so much from over here so thats why i'm asking all the members from this forum for some help. What would your advice be as faras the tires go?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aloredo07
ok this one is for LEGION5. yeah man its the same guy. I'm deployed to iraq so i've been doing a lot of research on this thing. all i want is to be able to have a DD that will visit the track once in a while for now. So i know that if i lower my car i will need LCA and relocating brackets, panhard bar etc... I just dont want to buy something and not be happy with it. I can't so much from over here so thats why i'm asking all the members from this forum for some help. What would your advice be as faras the tires go?
Actually I almost signed up for the airforce to the point of having the papers infront of me 3 years ago. Instead I just work for a performance shop and do professional telemetry analysis for racing teams, my dad used to be a racing driver so he taught me what I know about cars technically.

I know this is going to take a while to answer but, what wheels do you have now, what's your horsepower current and planned, what sort of track, what are your requirements looks wise, what are your requirements handling wise?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
as far fas the rear end I'm personally keeping my factory 3.55 rear. once I add the Kenne Bell I'll have plenty of power to pull through the gears and I'd rather leave the gearing a little taller for highway use like you mentioned and to make sure I hold traction off the line with the boost. my buddy had 3.73's on his 04 GT and those were good too, not a huge difference from the 3.55's.

I honestly don't think it makes as much of a performance difference as people make it out to be. you're just going through the gears quicker so it 'feels' faster. I've seen lots of guys so far with different rear ends running similar times from the stock 3.31's to 4.11's. it would be interesting for a magazine to take the same stock car and run it with 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, and 4.11 rear ends and log everything. then maybe do the same thing with a boosted car and see if the differences were the same. that's a lot of work though
Gears will put more torque to the ground as they get shorter. You definitely accellerate faster with them but 2 things to consider: One, you have to shift more often and Two, your rpm will change at each speed. If you add FI and have more torque, you can get to a point where you are putting too much of that torque to the ground and can't get traction, which is why 4.10's are too aggressive unless you run on the track.

The other consideration with gears is if you race. If you are ending the quarter mile barely into 4th, you should get a shorter gear so you can be in your power band further into 4th gear. If you top out in 4th at the end of the track and have to shift just before the end, you are losing time and should go to a taller gear..

Personally I had 4.10s with the NA setup and loved it. I went to 3.73's for the supercharger and before the supercharger went in I liked the smoother drive with the taller gears but the accelleration was definately weaker.

It is all about what you plan to do.. if you drive on the highway a lot, go with 3.73's.. its a good all around gear that adds a little zing to your drive.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
aloredo07
1st Gear Member

well for now i need a DD. But my plans for this stang is to take it to the drag strip with like maybe 700 hp. i'm planning on building an engine from the bottom up with forge internals and all the goodies the come with it. I will add a twin screw S/C and upgrade the fuel lines as required. But the main thing is that all this will take some time. In the mean time i still wanna have some fun with it. Thats why i want a good set gears, tires and wheels. Right now I have the stock fan blade wheels, my horsepower is at 310rwhp.

Quick Reply: Is my friend lieing to me??