Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Supercharger packages & the glass roof

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:59 PM
J. Dub

Default 2010 Supercharger packages & the glass roof

Long time lurker, new member. I had a question for those of you with 2010 GT, GT500, and super snake info. And those of you with pre-2010 experience with said models.

I'm in the market for a GT500. However, it seems neither the GT500 nor the super snake will have the glass roof like is optional on the GT. That said I was close to pulling the trigger on ordering a 2010 GT premium, w/ glass roof & with track pack (I know not available till Summer but my dealership is taking orders now) and I was just going to have them install the supercharger package that is available through ford racing.

BUT... and this is where I need all of your expertise cause I come from the world of imports. (previous vehicles were 2006 Acura Type-S, then currently in a 2008 350Z)

My question is this... The SC (supercharger) that is used in the super snake and the GT 500... They are the same correct? Just different size pulleys? That said, is the SC that is ordered through ford racing for the GT's is it also the same unit that is used on the GT 500 and the Super Snake? I assume yes but have yielded no info via my search on here and on google. I just assumed it is a smaller pulley. That probably yields 5lbs of boost.

Also, what do you domestic guys do for all the heat the SC produces? Does the GT500 or the super snake have an aftercooler? Or nothing and solely relys on the bigger hole in the front bumper to cool it down?

Lastly, for you pre 2010 guys... Is there a "better" supercharger out there then the one Ford racing produces? If so I'd assume that said manufacturer would probably make one for the GT as well.

Anywho, thanks in advance. I'm pending my purchase based of your feedback. I just have to have the glass roof. No exceptions unfortunately. Thanks in advance fellas.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

The GT500 blower and mustang GT blowers are different. The GT500 has a 5.4 liter and the GT is 4.6. Whole different engines between the two. Ford racing uses the whipple supercharger which i think is probably the best but some will argue with me. They are nearly all the same in power and reliability. Is the SC from ford racing the non intercooled kit or the HO kit? Because you will want the whipple HO kit. Sorry thats all the info i can provide. Hope others can help you with the rest
Old 05-27-2009, 09:05 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

and if you want more responses, you should post in the general 05-09 mustang section. They will not mind helping you there.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Ford racing sells the twin screw whipple kits for the GT, which is different than the roots blowers powering the GT500. In my opinion, you can't get a much better setup than a whipple H.O., which does come with an intercooler.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 AM
J. Dub

I see. Nine, (or others) you may be able to tell me.

With that SC from Ford Racing does it come with an AT? (Auto tensioner) I know on my Acura RSX Type-S... Anything past 7lbs of boost needed an AT for "optimum" performance. Of course, it was necessary. But you could actually feel, while pulling the vehicle hard, the belt slipping upon hard accelerations.
And with Mustangs... Do you have to upgrade injectors? With RSX's and with my 350Z you do. Thanks 2 you 2 for replying so quickly.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by J. Dub
Long time lurker, new member. I had a question for those of you with 2010 GT, GT500, and super snake info. And those of you with pre-2010 experience with said models.

I'm in the market for a GT500. However, it seems neither the GT500 nor the super snake will have the glass roof like is optional on the GT. That said I was close to pulling the trigger on ordering a 2010 GT premium, w/ glass roof & with track pack (I know not available till Summer but my dealership is taking orders now) and I was just going to have them install the supercharger package that is available through ford racing.

BUT... and this is where I need all of your expertise cause I come from the world of imports. (previous vehicles were 2006 Acura Type-S, then currently in a 2008 350Z)

My question is this... The SC (supercharger) that is used in the super snake and the GT 500... They are the same correct? Just different size pulleys? That said, is the SC that is ordered through ford racing for the GT's is it also the same unit that is used on the GT 500 and the Super Snake? I assume yes but have yielded no info via my search on here and on google. I just assumed it is a smaller pulley. That probably yields 5lbs of boost.

Also, what do you domestic guys do for all the heat the SC produces? Does the GT500 or the super snake have an aftercooler? Or nothing and solely relys on the bigger hole in the front bumper to cool it down?

Lastly, for you pre 2010 guys... Is there a "better" supercharger out there then the one Ford racing produces? If so I'd assume that said manufacturer would probably make one for the GT as well.

Anywho, thanks in advance. I'm pending my purchase based of your feedback. I just have to have the glass roof. No exceptions unfortunately. Thanks in advance fellas.
The Super Snake uses a Kenne Bell S/C 2.8H Mammoth with intercooler. The GT500 stock S/C is intercooled but can't produce that kind of power. Now you can order the S/C upgrade kit for the GT500 which will replace the stock one with a larger TVS unit that will get you very close to lower end of Super Snake power which is 625rwhp. My freind has the upgrade kit for his GT500 and is putting down 660rwhp at 17psi of boost. The Kenne Bell 2.8H Mammoth will put you to 775rwhp but your pushing 25psi of boost. So it all depends on what you want.......
Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 PM
J. Dub

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
The Super Snake uses a Kenne Bell S/C 2.8H Mammoth with intercooler. The GT500 stock S/C is intercooled but can't produce that kind of power. Now you can order the S/C upgrade kit for the GT500 which will replace the stock one with a larger TVS unit that will get you very close to lower end of Super Snake power which is 625rwhp. My freind has the upgrade kit for his GT500 and is putting down 660rwhp at 17psi of boost. The Kenne Bell 2.8H Mammoth will put you to 775rwhp but your pushing 25psi of boost. So it all depends on what you want.......
I see. 25psi and all that power starts to sound alot like an axle detonating. LOL I'm beginning to think that since this GT I have on order is going to be my DD... I'd really never want to run anything past 12psi of boost.

I'm thinking this intercooled kit for the GT500 mated to the 4.6 engine will be just fine for what I do.
My next questions would be if the kit comes with injectors and an auto tensioner to "cure" the belt slipping during hard acceleration. But then again you domestic guys may not have that problem like us imports do. I think to answer that question I'll go search in the engine sections of this forum.

Thanks again for your help Cutter.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:43 PM
cad316
1st Gear Member

How much would the dealership charge to install that supercharger on the 2010 GT? The total cost, i mean.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by J. Dub
I see. Nine, (or others) you may be able to tell me.

With that SC from Ford Racing does it come with an AT? (Auto tensioner) I know on my Acura RSX Type-S... Anything past 7lbs of boost needed an AT for "optimum" performance. Of course, it was necessary. But you could actually feel, while pulling the vehicle hard, the belt slipping upon hard accelerations.
And with Mustangs... Do you have to upgrade injectors? With RSX's and with my 350Z you do. Thanks 2 you 2 for replying so quickly.
With the whipple kit, there are instructions for modifying the stock tensioner, but I'd recommend you buy an aftermarket tensioner such as the Thump_rrr tensioner that I run. The arm on the stock tensioner tends to bend at high PSI. I never had significant belt slip before buying an aftermarket tensioner, but I did throw a belt, lol. The injectors do need to be upgraded with the whipple HO, but they come with the kit, as well as colder spark plugs.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 AM
J. Dub

Originally Posted by cad316
How much would the dealership charge to install that supercharger on the 2010 GT? The total cost, i mean.
Good question. I'd like to just install it myself with the help of my local buddy that owns an 07 stang. But am worried about warranty. If dealership will warranty it then I'll just have them do it. I don't want to install it if it voids my warranty. I'm gonna ask my local dealership I ordered my GT from and see what they say when I see them Sat.
Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
With the whipple kit, there are instructions for modifying the stock tensioner, but I'd recommend you buy an aftermarket tensioner such as the Thump_rrr tensioner that I run. The arm on the stock tensioner tends to bend at high PSI. I never had significant belt slip before buying an aftermarket tensioner, but I did throw a belt, lol. The injectors do need to be upgraded with the whipple HO, but they come with the kit, as well as colder spark plugs.
Ah, perfect. Thanks for the help nine! Dually noted.

Quick Reply: 2010 Supercharger packages & the glass roof