Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well Well Well. Mustang beats Camaro and Challanger on C&D.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 PM
provofam
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by boomee
i couldnt have said it myself if i had a dollor for everytime people thought they would beat me in a race cause they had the most hp id be a rich man in my opinion handling is king anyways 2010 mustang im coming !!!!!!!
I had a Mini Cooper S before my Stang and although I absolutely loved it's handling, you still can't replace HP. I like all three cars and if it was just the blvd I'd pick the Challenger, but I like my vert. I'd still like to see Ford bump up the HP with a 5.0 How many of us have already added mods to increase our HP, the aftermarket is going to catch up quick on both the Mopar and the Chevy. I'm sure there's a lot of untapped power in both of those engines. Just my opinion, but I'm very happy to see all three companies offering cars that get the heart beating quicker!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I don't understand why anyone would expect the challenger to be a small car. The original cars were big. So are the new ones. Shouldn't be any surprise.
You do realize the new one is a lot bigger than the old one. Its a 13/10ths scale of the original.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teksp0rt
Long live the 'notchback... +1!

... bad comparison with the Challenger R/T. They should have used the Challenger STR8. Either way, put a few more ponies in the Mustang (ahem, perhaps that 5.0 engine Ford) and we will have a MONSTER! We all know it is a better car, which is why we are on this forum.
You're lost. That was a perfect comparison. The Challenger was $39k as tested.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:29 PM
ztalon
2nd Gear Member

I don't understand why anyone would expect the challenger to be a small car. The original cars were big. So are the new ones. Shouldn't be any surprise.
It is what it is....a big pony/muscle car. I don't think anybody expected the Challenger to be small, but a little "smaller" would have been nice.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
provofam
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ztalon
It is what it is....a big pony/muscle car. I don't think anybody expected the Challenger to be small, but a little "smaller" would have been nice.
The only reason it's bigger is that it's built on the same platform as the 300, Charger & the Magnum. If they had had to design and equip plants for an all new platform then it never would have been given the green light for production. I still think they did a good job with it. It's definitely the best of the three if your carrying more than one passenger. It also looks really cool and that's from someone who used to own a 73' Challenger.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah, it looks cool. But its a freaking boat.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The mustang is a battleship too.

The new challenger weighs more than the old one yes but so do the new mustangs.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:14 PM
ztalon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by provofam
The only reason it's bigger is that it's built on the same platform as the 300, Charger & the Magnum.
Certainly the reason why it is rather large. I think I remember reading that they chopped 4 inches off the Charger platform. When I first read that, I realized that it would be a good sized car.

I happen to think the Challenger looks pretty impressive. Excellent from the front and back.....rather plain from the side. I drive by the Dodge dealership twice a week and a few Challengers out in front get long looks from me every time. Too big for me though. Plus, the prices of the RTs I've seen are pretty high.

My Z-28 is as big a car as I care to drive these days. In fact, I much prefer the size of my Mustang or Eclipse....particularly for parking in tight or crowded parking areas....or carefully gliding into my "less than huge" garage.

I wanted to really like the Challenger, but it came in just a tad larger than I'd care to live with.

Most magazines agree with you that they did a pretty good job with recreating the Challenger. It has been called the most faithful pony car revisit of the current Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The Challenger is the worst value of the 3 for performance/$. It may be the best looker but when it's not much faster than a GT (R/T vs. GT) and they want an extra $4000-5000 vs. what you can get a 08 GT for... Well you know. Pretty terrible.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

The mustang is a battleship too.

The new challenger weighs more than the old one yes but so do the new mustangs.
You're joking right?

Mustang weighs 3580lbs

Challenger weighs 4140lbs

They are no where near each other.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well Well Well. Mustang beats Camaro and Challanger on C&D.