Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well Well Well. Mustang beats Camaro and Challanger on C&D.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Default Well Well Well. Mustang beats Camaro and Challanger on C&D.

Just finished reading the article.

---------------0-60 1/4 mph
----Camaro SS 4.8 13.0 111
-Challenger RT 5.1 13.6 106
--Mustang GT 4.9 13.6 105

Camaro has 426hp/420tq, Challenger 376hp/410tq, Mustang 315hp/325tq

Scary part though, those cars OWN on the top end.

---------------0-60 0-100 0-140mph
----Camaro SS 4.8 10.7 22.3
-Challenger RT 5.1 12.2 27.7
-Mustang GT 4.9 12.3 34.2

Mustang had trackpack with 3.73 rear end.

Mustang won the top vote overall. Handling best by a long shot.

I'm impressed.

link to C&D online
Old 06-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

that's proof that engines alone do not make a car great!

That's why all this talk about the new 5.0 engine in the Mustang needs to be curtailed or restrained!
Getting all excited about horsepower could leave you frustrated with your uncomfortable car. Like some Camaro owners are!

Concentrate on the more important things, like fit and finish, handling, safety and mpg. Those real world issues aren't as sexy as fast 1/4 mile times, but if all you want is a 12 second drag race, buy a used Mustang for $7,000 and build it up, saving you about $25,000!
Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240

That's why all this talk about the new 5.0 engine in the Mustang needs to be curtailed or restrained!
Getting all excited about horsepower could leave you frustrated with your uncomfortable car. Like some Camaro owners are!

Concentrate on the more important things, like fit and finish, handling, safety and mpg. Those real world issues aren't as sexy as fast 1/4 mile times, but if all you want is a 12 second drag race, buy a used Mustang for $7,000 and build it up, saving you about $25,000!
That's exactly what I'm doing. I don't want a luxuriously soft heavy street car. I'll DD a mut and weekend a taut light monster devoid of creature comforts. Long live the 'notchback...
Old 06-02-2009, 04:54 AM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240

i couldnt have said it myself if i had a dollor for everytime people thought they would beat me in a race cause they had the most hp id be a rich man in my opinion handling is king anyways 2010 mustang im coming !!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:39 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boomee
i couldnt have said it myself if i had a dollor for everytime people thought they would beat me in a race cause they had the most hp id be a rich man in my opinion handling is king anyways 2010 mustang im coming !!!!!!!
Rental fleets already have auto-vert GT's here at the airport in Vancouver in Grabber blue. I'm gonna pay the $89.95 and pound the **** out of it up to Whistler the same way I did the '05. I have to say, the slantnosed *** end is growing on me a little bit...
Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 AM
ztalon
2nd Gear Member

I've been keeping an eye on the new Camaro and Mustang and I have to admit that the Mustang would get the nod for me over the Camaro right now. The most disturbing thing to me about the Camaro is the poor visability out of the car (particularly the C - Pillars). I had a 73 Mach 1 and that car had absolutely terrible blind spots. I have no desire to drive a car that I can't be comfortable about seeing out of.

Right from the start, I lost interest in the Challenger, when I saw how big it was. Not that the Mustang is small, but it is definitely smaller than the Challenger and a bit smaller than the Camaro.

Then again, price could have an effect on all of this. Even if the Mustang wins a few competitions with its rivals (and it hasn't won all of them), price and availability will ultimately have a big effect on this war.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:56 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

When you're comparing the base prices (and then the dealer markups) for the GT versus the SS, the closeness of these results is pretty sad...
Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
cad316
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ztalon
I've been keeping an eye on the new Camaro and Mustang and I have to admit that the Mustang would get the nod for me over the Camaro right now. The most disturbing thing to me about the Camaro is the poor visability out of the car (particularly the C - Pillars). I had a 73 Mach 1 and that car had absolutely terrible blind spots. I have no desire to drive a car that I can't be comfortable about seeing out of.

Right from the start, I lost interest in the Challenger, when I saw how big it was. Not that the Mustang is small, but it is definitely smaller than the Challenger and a bit smaller than the Camaro.

Then again, price could have an effect on all of this. Even if the Mustang wins a few competitions with its rivals (and it hasn't won all of them), price and availability will ultimately have a big effect on this war.
That is true about the blindspots on the Camaro. My wife wants to get one and Im trying to steer her towards a Mustang. The fact that she's short will play a big role if she would be comfortable driving a Camaro. She t-boned some lady bout a year ago, so she's very timid when driving.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I don't understand why anyone would expect the challenger to be a small car. The original cars were big. So are the new ones. Shouldn't be any surprise.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

Long live the 'notchback... +1!

... bad comparison with the Challenger R/T. They should have used the Challenger STR8. Either way, put a few more ponies in the Mustang (ahem, perhaps that 5.0 engine Ford) and we will have a MONSTER! We all know it is a better car, which is why we are on this forum.

Last edited by teksp0rt; 06-02-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Well Well Well. Mustang beats Camaro and Challanger on C&D.