Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which SuperCharger and WHY

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:36 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

If anyone wants the edelbrock 5100 delivered PM me.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
If I was you, I would get the saleen s/c for an extra hundred bucks. I know there are plenty of good write ups on the installs and MANY people who actually have them and can help you out with any issues. Edelbrock seems nice, but I know people didn’t get the results that were advertised. Saleen FTW
Curious where all the EB kits are that did not deliver as advertised?? The only one that I have seen with issues came down to being a spark plug problem (which was not part of the kit)... and that unit is now being installed in another car this week with results coming any day on TMS. All of the units that have been shared on the forums I frequent (TMS, S197 & here) achieved the advertised power of ~400RWHP and then some, including one on S197 that is running north of 600RWHP and in the low 11s. Along with mine that is north of 420 with only a minor tweak to the timing and AFs through the stock air box.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:04 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Different forums. I read about 3 people complaining because they weren’t getting the results that they wanted. Anyways, I would still go saleen for sure for a few extra hundred bucks. Saleen intercooled will put you right around 450 rwhp and there is many more people to give support on their experience/install.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:41 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Being partial to the KB, for 200 more than the saleen for, from what I have seen, a higher quality product would be the way to go. Not to say you wouldn't be happy with the Saleen product.

I think many people who were interested in the edelbrock product earlier in the year were scared away by the way Tillman speed handled things, combined with your own issues, Doogie, which you posted very thoroughly here. Sure all the problems turned out to be minor, but it reminds us all how a new product that is untested in the market can become a real headache. Most people that buy a supercharger don't have a million dollars lying around under the mattress, so it is an important purchase and warrants some peace of mind. A product like the Saleen or the KB that has been around for almost as long as the S197 is a safer bet. Chances are, the EB will be around for a long time, but only time will tell if they start having problems at 10k, 20k, 30k, 50k, etc miles. If you asked me to gamble almost $6k on an untested product, I would, at the very least, compare the number of bad reviews to the number of good reviews. Many early adopters didn't exactly give good reviews.. All this, and at that price, you get a couple more pounds of boost with the Saleen or KB, which equates to 30+ more horespower at the wheels..