Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which SuperCharger and WHY

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:54 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Question Which SuperCharger and WHY

What supercharger would you recommend for self install on a dd 2007 GT Vert that will not over stress the stock internals? Please note the mods on the car allready. I am leaning towards a Saleen Stage 3.

Also what suspension alterations would you recommend to handle affectively the extra power. (something that is fairly comfortable but improves handling). I am not looking for severe lowering here.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:10 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Saleen or Whipple FTW!....run low boost at first say 8 psi and up to more later with dyno tune if you get the need for more power!

very linear TQ curve...boost is instant at 1800+ RPM's and you will not be in boost unless you want to be.....everyone thinks boost is on all the time and this is not the case....either is great for a DD IMO....

Centri's are belt driven turbos essentially and kick in as the RPM's increase (so TQ is not linear) and for street driving I like the feel of the instant TQ of the TS S/C's and no you wont be spinning the tires unless you want too.

Oh and turn off the TCS each and every time you enter the car or defeat it with the tuner (not rcommended) or you can cause a lean condition when WOT and spinning the tires or not.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:58 PM
ClayBonics
2nd Gear Member

I have heard very good things about Edelbrocks E-Force Supercharger. Very low boost for big power. One of the owners at JDM uses it on his mustang.
If you are on a budget, I would look into the Vortech V3 Brenspeed kit. proven technology at a great price.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

I do like my whipple h/o, btw just went to the smaller pulley setup they introduced in 09. Can really feel the difference. Adds 50 hp I think. My car is lowered with the Ford kit. Works well but may be too low for you as I can grate over speed bumps. Wheels and tires are gt500 takeoffs. Best wheel tire value out there by far. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:45 PM
UMich97
2nd Gear Member

Just wanted to jump in to subscribe.....and also see if anyone had any opinions on the Whipple vs Roushcharger. I definitely want to go with the twinscrew so that I can get the low-end power. Just not sure if there were any benefits of one over the other.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

isn't the whipple about a grand more than most other kits?? I read the saleen install intructions and it didn't look that bad, I have heard kenne bell is quite a bit harder
Old 06-07-2009, 01:18 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by UMich97
Just wanted to jump in to subscribe.....and also see if anyone had any opinions on the Whipple vs Roushcharger. I definitely want to go with the twinscrew so that I can get the low-end power. Just not sure if there were any benefits of one over the other.

If you get the Roush TVS S/C your good to a max of 700 flywheel HP
http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1131

The whipple is pretty much the same but has a bigger intercooler and can run more boost if you can get a new monoblade TB and intake from Adam at ST Motorsports to get the most out of the boost from the 2.3L Whipple. The Gen 2 Whipple is more efficient then previous yrs and running 10 psi is like 11 or maybe 12 psi on the Gen 1. Seen big numbers from relatively low boost (8-10 psi) on the Gen 2 Whipple's.

IMO the Whipple is superior to the Roush in many ways and though it is an improvement from the last S/C Roush had it has its limits.

Now taken the above into consideration if you never see forging in the future then all that info really means nothing as the powered rods are the weak link and can and will break or bend (if your lucky) at some point in the future on higher boost applications (11+ or less-just depends on the tune and many other factors).

I am running the Gen1 whipple and love it and have no regrets except that I want more HP and that doesn't have anything to do with the S/C itself just my want for more HP.....
Old 06-07-2009, 01:35 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I was pumped this week to find out a reputable tuner (DynoJoe) within driving distance of me is up on Edelbrocks. Call me crazy, but I don't like supercharger sound. I want the car not to sound like a sewing machine. The Edelbrock (and Roush TVS I presume) is pretty much silent.

If the stock market keeps creeping back, I can see me getting an Edelbrock this year. Woo-hoo!!!

The TVS SC's (edelbrock & roush) are kinda like a hybrid twin screw & centri. Like a twin screw, they provide near instant boost. Like a centri, the boost climbs with rpm. Best of both worlds, IMO. And, allegedly, run at lower temps.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Brenspeed's Vorteck will add up to 150hp for around $4000. Best supercharger value around.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:30 AM
UMich97
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Now taken the above into consideration if you never see forging in the future then all that info really means nothing as the powered rods are the weak link and can and will break or bend (if your lucky) at some point in the future on higher boost applications (11+ or less-just depends on the tune and many other factors).
Thanks for the tips. As of today, my thought is to not have to do any forging, simply because I'd like to just shoot for around 450hp roughly, give or take and want to try to keep the costs down as much as I can. Basically my main goal would be to improve the low end response/power (as well as high end, but low end is what's missing the most on stock IMO) and get it faster than most stock cars on the road (just for my own satisfaction ).

Quick Reply: Which SuperCharger and WHY