Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question Regarding replacement keys

Old 06-12-2009, 10:12 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

you don't need the ORIGINALS, you just need two keys that are programmed to the car to program another one. the fact that you have an aftermarket key may be screwing something up. Ford keys are not that expensive, it's the programming where they get you. Last time I bought a spare for my car, it was around $10 for the key, and they tried to get another $20 out of me to program. I still had my 2 keys though, so I told them to shove the program. They tried to tell me the key wouldn't work then. Of course it worked after I programmed it, that's why I never take my car there for parts or service anymore.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

^^^ yep, two keys programmed to the car is all you need; after that, you can program all the keys you want. i had a spare from my previous mustang and i programmed it myself.

sounds like i got royally screwed on the price for my second key, though; they took $80 from me for the key and programming
Old 06-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeno
^^^ yep, two keys programmed to the car is all you need; after that, you can program all the keys you want. i had a spare from my previous mustang and i programmed it myself.

sounds like i got royally screwed on the price for my second key, though; they took $80 from me for the key and programming
For the '07, you are limited to a total of 8 keys and 6 fobs. So if a prior owner had a bunch of keys or fobs programmed, you might find yourself out of luck.

I think there is a mystical, magical way that a Ford dealer can get around this. I'd hate to think how much it would cost.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:51 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007grabberGt
I just had my ignition replaced on my focus. Locksmith charged me 20 bucks and only needed my one key. Dont know if stangs are different.

That's what the local locksmith told me he would charge too. Sure beats having Ford charge $80.00 to program it.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:05 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Art161
For the '07, you are limited to a total of 8 keys and 6 fobs. So if a prior owner had a bunch of keys or fobs programmed, you might find yourself out of luck.

I think there is a mystical, magical way that a Ford dealer can get around this. I'd hate to think how much it would cost.
All previous fobs that were programmed are unprogrammed when
the fob programming procedure is envoked. All fobs you want to
work with the stang need to be present and programmed all
at the same programming session. Keys dont seem to be that way.

READ ALL ABOUT IT

Maybe the KEY PROGRAMMING SWITCH STATE CONTROL
has been disabled. Was this a previous rental vehicle or
a lease vehicle. Those have the driver locked out of additional
key programming.

Last edited by 157dB; 06-13-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:37 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Nice find, great info!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone have a link to the process for programing a new key. I plan to try this again this afternoon.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Here's the instructions from the cars manual.

Programming spare keys
You can program your own coded keys to your vehicle. Please read and
understand the entire procedure before you begin.
Tips:
• A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle.
• Only use SecuriLock keys.
• You must have two previously programmed coded keys (keys that
already operate your vehicle’s engine) and the new unprogrammed
key(s) readily accessible.
• If no previously programmed coded keys are available, you must take
your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the spare key(s)
programmed.
1. Insert a previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
2. Turn the ignition from the 1(OFF/LOCK) position to the 3 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (ON) position for at least one second, but no more than 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position, and remove the coded key from the ignition.
4. Within ten seconds of removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the other previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
5. Turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position to the 3 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (ON) position for at least one second but not more than 10 seconds.
6. Turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position, and remove the second key from the ignition.
7. Within twenty seconds of removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the unprogrammed key (new valet key) into the ignition.
8. Turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position to the 3 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (ON) position for at least one second.
9. Your new unprogrammed key is now programmed. If the key has been successfully programmed it will start the vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator light will illuminate for three seconds and then go out. If the key was not successfully programmed, it will not start your vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator light will flash on and off rapidly. If failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the new key(s) programmed.
To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this procedure
from Step 1 for each additional key.