Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Door Buzz

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Stereo Door Buzz

I have a 2006 GT 'vert. I installed 4 upgraded stereo speakers, 2 ways, last year.
I am having a problem I don't know exactly how to fix. I guess the new speakers have more bass, and it makes the plastic top piece of the arm rest (both doors), the piece with the window buttons & lock button, buzz and vibrate. If I lay my hand on the piece & push down, it stops. Any ideas how to make this problem go away?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Your best bet IMHO is to do the following:

1. Figure out exactly what two pieces would need to be "firmed up" (ie: where is the gap in the plastic pieces that's allowing the vibration) before you take anything apart.
2. Pull that entire plastic piece off. It's pretty simple to do; the entire unit pulls off by tugging toward the inside of the vehicle. Don't pull too hard once it comes free, as there is a plug attached.
3. Find some rubber, foam, or double-sized tape (something to deaden the vibration) to put between the two pieces, but of course out of sight. I've used pieces from an old inner tube and double-sided tape, depending on the situation.
4. Put everything back together and test. Don't be surprised if you don't fix it the first time. In that case, repeat the steps, trying to narrow down the place where the buzz is coming from.

If you are clever enough with the search feature on this site, you should be able to find some threads on common vibration problems that people on here have resolved. For instance, there can be a horrible buzz caused by the plastic inserts behind the internal door handle lever. This can easily be fixed by double-sized tape, although be advised that it will be considerably more difficult to remove these plates if/when you need to remove the door panel (like replacing speakers!). I had this problem a few days ago; I did get them out but they were A LOT harder than the first time without the tape. A trick I learned in removing them is to use a hex key to hook the inside of the plastic insert and pull.

Anyway, good luck. These cars do tend to have their rattles, etc, and upgrading the sound system or exhaust can make it worse
Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 AM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

The small, black square piece behind the door handle is a known rattler.