Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a sunroof, but can't bring myself to make the "cut".

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 12:43 AM
floydfan

Default I want a sunroof, but can't bring myself to make the "cut".

OK, I really need some opinions from ppl here. To start, I LOVE sunroofs. I put them in every car I own , unless its stock of course. I love them for utility sake, not for looks. I'm the type who always has the windows cracked an inch or two, even if the AC or heat is on, as I love the fresh air. With a sunroof, I don't even bother with the AC, I put the windows down, open the sunroof and put the pedal to the metal. Pure heaven to me.
So my dilema is whether or not to put one in my 05 GT. I dont "ABSOLUTELY" need it, but would be much happier with it, for the reasons stated above. My apprehention is not wanting to do an irreverible mod to my baby. There's not really anyother mod that is more permanent that a sunroof install.
My reason for not wanting to cut my baby up is "orginality". I know this will be a well divided topic, but I feel the need to keep my mods limited to those that can be put back to original, if need be. My feeling this way comes from the fact that I have been in the vintage muscle car hobby for about 15 years, and have seen many rare model cars with irreversible mods. For example, SS396 Novas that have been tubbed out, Real 69 Z28's with big blocks installed (thus removing the rare 302's), etc etc.
Now, at the moment, yes, the 05 GT is a current model and most wouldn't worry about 20 years from now. But neither did the guys who tubbed the Novas and ditched the 302's from the Z28's. But think about it. We 05 GT owners have a guarentied classic in our driveways. Lets see....first year of the body style which has caused an absolute craze, literally the most sought after vehicle of the new century, and we could most likely add the 90's and 80's to that (just ask the guys going nuts waiting for their order to arrive) These cars will be talked about as legends 20 years from now. To add to all this, my car has EVERY option except the rag top and 1000w shaker. I have all the interior upgrades including My Color and the now discontinued red accented interior. Not that I'm bragging at all, but history shows that the most well optioned cars are at the top of the wish list.
I have no intention of ever selling this car, so it's not investment that troubles me. But still I really am having trouble deciding to do the sunroof. I really want it, but I don't want to regret it someday.
Sorry for the long winded post, as most will think my dilema is rediculous, but those who have had a love and understanding of classic cars will understand. So all I'm asking is for unbiased opinions on if I should do it or not. Thanks in advance.
By the way, where's the spell check.... 8^)
Old 06-29-2005, 06:21 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I want a sunroof, but can't bring myself to make the "cut".

if you plan on keeping your GT I'd say go for it. Make sure its done well, like this one we saw. Guy said he had the dealer do it for $1100 when he bought it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/625B923F55F546609B0461175FA606EC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-29-2005, 07:47 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

There is no way in HE!! I would ever do it, but it sounds like something you get a lot of use out of. Plus the fast that you don't see yourself selling the car (at least for a LONG period of time) makes me think its the right thing for you... Just go re-read your post and look at how you describe your description of it.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:14 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

If it was me I would never do it but thats just my opinion. If it was a factory option I might get it.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:54 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

you sound like me - liking the fresh air coming in your car en all......thats just what I like and this is the first car I have ever had without a sunroof! But you know what - I wouldnt think of installing a sunroof after production, I would be afraid of the integrity of the car and also there are practicalities to think about such as water leaking, etc (which nearly always happens with 3'rd party sunroofs).....

Dont go there!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 10:58 AM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

OK, here's my take on it! This is only My opinion. You make 3 Very clean statements in your post:
#1, We 05 GT owners have a guarentied classic in our driveways.
Well, maybe, but noone knows for sure if we do or don't. I'd like to think so, but as you already know, how many other cars built back in the 60's & 70's are Not classis?

#2, I have been in the vintage muscle car hobby for about 15 years, and have seen many rare model cars with irreversible mods.
OK, so then if our 05's due become classics, then you know what the Correct answer is to your own question!

I have no intention of ever selling this car, so it's not investment that troubles me.
Then in this case, I'd say Do It and enjoy many, many yearrs of happiness with your ride!

The bottom line is, and will always be, IT YOUR RIDE. Only you can Really answer your own question. I have never shy'ed away from doing what I want to make my car, MY CAR. Heck, I had mine 1 week, and was already drilling holes in the hood for hood pins. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but that why she loves me. I'm not afraid to do things my way. I didn't hear about the hood flex problems other were having, before I did my hood pins. I just did it, because it adds that Classic Muscle Car Look.

So, don't know if I helped you or not? I think you already know your own answer, but just want others to say, it's ok, add the sunroof!
[sm=itsok.gif]

Dave...
Old 06-29-2005, 11:04 AM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

if i was you i woudlnt do it yourself..my first car when i was 17 had a sunroof in it that was put in before i bought it..used to leak rather bad after it rained...i thought about getting one with my mustang but decided against it...besides im not trying to impress anyone i got the car for me and no one else
Old 06-29-2005, 11:11 AM
ChewbaccaD
2nd Gear Member

How come you "love the fresh air" guys didn't just get verts?

I would have been more likely to get a coupe if there had been a sunroof option. Bottom line is, it's your car, do what makes you happy. If you drive it a lot, and aren't planning on selling, put in the sunroof. If you're worried about it's "classic" value, then don't. It just depends on which one means more to you. I think you should go take a nice long drive and ponder it [sm=gears.gif]
Old 06-29-2005, 11:30 AM
STLPonyRider

I had the dealership install my sunroof also. I must say though, that it wasnt my idea and I was dead against it at first. But I let my wife talk me into it. Now I am really happy that we had the sunroof put in. I absolutely love it and it has been open 90% of the time. In the end, it only comes down to what makes you happy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16739/C49CEB972FC54E5982E972C675827214.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-29-2005, 11:54 AM
JWB

I agree with Chewbacca. Get a really BIG sunrooof and trade it in on a convertible!!!

Quick Reply: I want a sunroof, but can't bring myself to make the "cut".