Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garrett Twin turbo for $4k ?!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:11 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Exclamation Garrett Twin turbo for $4k ?!

Ok here is the deal. I have been looking at F/I for quite some time now and I was searching for a turbo kit when I stumbled upon this deal. Apparently, it’s a complete Garrett twin turbo kit minus the tuner (I have an SCT) and the blow off valve(~$250). Is this deal too good to be true? I seen STS twin turbo kit for $8k, so it makes me wonder about this one. Once i seen the seller was in Canada i thought it might be a scam, but in his feedback there are multiple turbo kits sold with happy customers. Also, the entire purchase is under paypal protection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garre...1%7C240%3A1318

So I have a few questions,
1) Is anyone running this kit or know if its good? I've heard good things about garretts but I want to make sure.
2) is the blow-off valve and my tuner all I would need?
3) What gauges would be a good match for it?
Old 06-18-2009, 05:26 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

thats a good deal but its not complete by any means. it missing all the piping for the top side, like how 2 turbos are going to feed into a 1 pipe going into that intercooler,there would be a "y" pipe somewhere or a intercooler with 2 inlets/1 outlet. also there is no pipe to go from the lower intercooler piping into the throttle body.plus it is lacking some exhaust piping. the garrett set up puts one turbo back by the battery and the other turbo goes up front by the driver headlight.it would be a real good start and would not take much to make it happen.also i dont see any injectors or a new fuel pump,you will need that stuff also along with some air filters.another $1.5k in parts and about $500 for a good tune and you are set.

you can re-use your tuner and get a tune made for the new set up.you can get a cheapy BOV from ebay for less than $50,they work fine.

my gauges are:
aeroforce interceptor (for all the typical readings like oil pressure,fuel pressure and coolant)
AEM wideband
AEM boost gauge/controller

Last edited by one eyed willy; 06-18-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Dude that engine bay looks sick!!! Yeah i figured it really wasnt the complete kit, but its a good starting point. What injector size works good? Would a BAP work ok or should i just get the GT500 fuel pumps. I will probably attempt the install with 2 friends, but it will be a few months till i can get the funds for this.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:03 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

Not a full kit. If you want a full twin turbo kit check out impulse engineering. They created a full twin turbo kit.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:07 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
Dude that engine bay looks sick!!! Yeah i figured it really wasnt the complete kit, but its a good starting point. What injector size works good? Would a BAP work ok or should i just get the GT500 fuel pumps. I will probably attempt the install with 2 friends, but it will be a few months till i can get the funds for this.
id get some gt500 injectors,you can pick some up prety cheap from the gt500 guys who swap them out,they are a 52# injector and would give you some room to grow if needed.

id just get the gt500 pump and be done with it,BAP would probably work fine but better to be safe than sorry.

you could do this yourself for sure, when you order the kit, also order you up some aluminum piping for the outlets of the turbo and find you a "y" somewhere,mark the pipes when you get to that point and then find you a local guy who can weld the aluminum for you.just do a few pieces at a time and try them out,work your way down to the intercooler.you will need to buy a MAF bung also,they are about $50.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:02 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp

that does look like an awesome setup, however I can't help but think those turbos are drawing a ton of engine heat right into the turbos, the intakes are basically right next to the motor