Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Bama Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster

1) Power at 0-3000 rpms is worse than stock.

I had that problem with my Brenspeed tune. This was over a year ago when my mods were K&N CAI and that's it. They told me the tune is fine etc. I know for a fact it was worse than stock as putting the stock tune back in was A LOT better < 3K.

Since then I used Bama tunes and they have been near perfect.

I've been thinking of trying a Brenspeed tune again with my current mods just for the heck of it (Steeda CAI & Kooks LT).
Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

You didn't mix up the MAFs did you? Maybe you put on the GMS MAF by mistake the first time.

I had the Spydershaft and gears done at the same time so I don't know which had the most effect.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Wingman75, I'm pretty sure I have the right MAF in. I even tried swapping it the way it's supposed to be. You know, without the Granatelli wiring harness, just to see if it would run better and to me there was no difference. Didn't matter which MAF was in there, it ran the same.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Twinbo
1st Gear Member

Your number 1 rings true for many tunes.
I have a JLT intake with a tune created locally and the power down low is worse on the 91 tune than the 87.
This is a function of our car making more power up high in the RPM range and I think its normal. My roomate has the identical setup with Bama tunes and says the same thing. The 91 Torque is better down low, while the 91 Race is better up high. Maybe just try a Brenspeed tune with more focus on low range power (Bama makes the 91/93 Torque) before you write them off.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:47 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Give VMP a chance. I just got their tune recently and I like it a lot. Feels good throughout the power band and drives very smoothly with good throttle response.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Twinbo, in Brenspeeds' defense, if I launch from a stand still revving up to about 2500 rpms and take off, I spin a little and it is roughly about the same as stock. Can't really tell any difference. Where the low rpm power shows up the worst is when I don't take off with a higher revving up. Let's say I'm at a stop light, I'm in the left lane and need to get over to the right lane to turn right shortly down the road. If I take off without a higher revving and I floor it, the car feels like it takes almost 2 seconds and near 3000 rpms before I can get some good pull. If the car in the right lane takes off with any zip at all, I'm not getting in front of him.

I've come to the conclusion I'm not going to spend any more money on another tune. Bama, VMP or anybody. I might be disappointed with them too. I have driven about 1/4 of a tank now with the Brenspeed SCT tune set to 91 and I have that Granatelli cold air intake and yesterday I put the Granatelli wiring harness and mass air sensor back in and it's running smoother than with the recommended stock mass air sensor. I could start right up and take off cold this morning also and the car didn't jerk and backfire either. I just may leave it where I'm at. 91 Brenspeed tune with the Granatelli wiring harness and mass air sensor.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I know it's frustrating, but I would still recommend you contact them (again) and explain that you still not happy. I bet you paid a pretty penny for the SCT X3 with the three tunes...assuming you got them from them (at around $370+), so why not insist on a better tune.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

TPony, thanks for the good advice. I know that's what I should do. But, I did send it back them once already. So far, I actually like how the tune is working with the wiring harness on. Isn't that weird? It's running smooth and it seems to have about the same amount of power as without the wiring harness and stock mass air sensor. After using the 91 tune this way, I'm going to try advancing the timing a little just to see how it runs. What the hell. I could still use more low rpm power and quicker throttle response.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

It sure is strange, specially since they told me they did not tune to the Granatellli MAF, but to the stock MAF in the Granetelli CAI.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Yes, it is strange. Because at first I didn't know I had to take off the harness the first time the tune was sent to me. They told me to switch back to the stock mass air sensor but didn't say I needed to take off the wiring harness. I'm telling you no lie. It's working better with the wiring harness on and Granatelli mass air sensor. Dunno why? But, like I've said, it's only been a short while with it like this. Time will tell. So far so good though. After my next fill up with 93 octane gas it will be pure 93 and I'm tempted to try the 93 tune.

Quick Reply: Questions about Bama Tune