Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Bama Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Default Questions about Bama Tune

I have the Brenspeed tune and am just not happy with it. Can anyone tell me if you have any of the following problems with the Bama tune that I'm now having with the Brenspeed tune?

1) Power at 0-3000 rpms is worse than stock.

2) In that 0-3000 rpm range the car makes a loud sound with the exhaust and intake but it's a struggling loud, not a powerful loud sound.

3) Can't start the car up cold and drive off smoothly. If I do that with the Brenspeed tune, the car jerks and is not accelerating smoothly and sometimes backfires in the intake.

4) The SCT Tuner says right on the device: More Power, Less Fuel. I drive easy and am not getting any better fuel economy with the device.

5) Does Bama use the SCT Flash and can they reprogram the one I already have?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:41 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

1. No

2. NO!

3. Hell no!

4. More than likely your not going to notice a fuel difference

5. Yes

You paid good money for that Brenspeed tune, and they are a very reputable company, why not try contacting them first? Maybe they did something wrong, and they can usually correct the problem with a revised tune. Chance are your gunna go to Bama and pay money for something Brenspeed can correct for free. I'd contact them first.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:36 PM
rcj2000
3rd Gear Member

I have the bama tune and LOVE it. i had the brenspeed tune first and it was ok at best. Not bad but not great. Bamachip tune has so much power but does use more gas. It breaks the tires in any gear where when i was stock it would only break lose in 1st and maybe 2nd. with the bama im in 5th and drop it to 4th and if i gun it i can spin the tires! Plus bamachips tunes are only 50 bucks! well it was when i bought it

when you look at the sct box that says more power less fuel, that is talkign about the sct tunes that comes with the tuner, not custom tunes.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:56 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

was the brenspeed tune designed around your intake?

it doesnt sound like it is written properly; mine works just fine at all RPMS. yes it is jerky at low RPMs, you have to get used to it.

that "backfiring in your intake" does not sound good.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I have sent the tune back to them once already. I have a Granatelli Cold Air Intake. I asked them about low rpm power and they said the power is there, I just don't notice it like I do in the upper rpms. I say for sure, the power is not there at low rpms. I also asked them about the backfiring and jerky cold take off. They told me the tune is so finely tuned that the car needs to be warmed up to the point of the idle slowing down to it's normal point. How come Ford's stock tune can start up and take right off? Ford's stock tune is never jerky. Everything is pointing to me trying Bama or just throwing in the towel and going back to stock.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:11 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

have you asked about the compatibility of their tune to your intake?

i think that may possibly be a compatibility issue; the granatelli is listed as "not needing a tune."
Old 06-21-2009, 04:11 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

double post

Last edited by KeneticEnergy; 06-21-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: double post
Old 06-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I asked them before I ordered it and they said they have tuned hundreds of Granatelli's.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:02 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

OK, dumb question but got to ask since it was not clear to me: did you switch the Granatelli MAF and replaced with the stock MAF? I also have the Granatelli CAI with the stock MAF and a Brenspeed tune. The only issue I had was using the 87 octane tune with 87 gas and the engine would ping...

I kept the 87 tune, but went 89 octane and the ping went away. I did contact Brenspeed at first to tell them about the tune/ping. I told them, that I would switch gas brands (to Chevron) and up the octane to see what would happen. Since the problem was solved and just told them that I was OK.
-

Last edited by TPony; 06-21-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I took the Granatelli mass air sensor off at first but didn't take the extra harness off and it didn't hardly work at all. Then after talking to Brenspeed they told me I needed to take off the harness and it worked better then.

Quick Reply: Questions about Bama Tune