Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Grey Ghost

Default Gas Tank Problem!

Okay...if this is in the wrong section, mods feel free to move it.

I've been having issues with my gas tank. Every time I go to fill up my tank, the gas pump clicks off around 10 gallons and even when I try to squeeze the gas pump handle to put more gas in, it clicks off, meaning that my tank is full.

This has happened at two different gas stations now. After that I check my gas guage and it reads that my gas tank is 3/4's full . Obviously it isn't full because our stangs hold 16 gallons of gas, but I can't get anymore put in than 10 gal.!!

Can anyone help and provide some insight into what's wrong with my car?

Also, my car has been getting terrible gas mileage lately like around 14-15mpg city, when it was just getting 17-18mpg in the city only two days ago.

Help please!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:03 PM
blackmustang285

This is a known problem with our gas tanks. There is a TSB on this issue. Try turning the gas handle sideways and see if it will let you get more gas in.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 PM
evilcow

I've had the same problem. Filling using the slow setting on the pump nozzle works every time. If I use the fast setting sometimes it will only fill up about half way.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Grey Ghost

Is there a link somewhere to find this TSB? Also, do you guys know what actually causes this to happen and does Ford fix this problem?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

We do have issues with the gas tanks in our cars. I am no expert but my guess is it has something to do with a pressure build up when pumping the gas. Because of the design I think the pressure builds up really fast which shuts off the gas pump nozzle. As for your gas mileage, I have no clue. What time of the day are you filling up? If any way possible, only fill up early in the morning or late at night. Temperature plays a big part in the gas molecules. Obviously when it is colder the gas molecules are smaller and you actually get more fuel than if you fill up when it is hot. When it is hot, the molecules expand and you are technically getting less fuel. This also happens when the fuel truck delivers the gas. When they are pumping mass quantities of fuel into the holding tanks under ground the gas molecules expand so don't fill up if you see a fuel truck delivering gas. There is probably not a real big difference but every bit helps, especially with the price of gas these days.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

common problem and I think they have a TSB on it. I just turn the nozzle to the 3 or 9 o'clock position and have no issues. Maybe pump a little slower too after 9 gallons?

moved to the 2005+ section
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I've had that problem at least 5 times in 3 yrs...when it happens I do exactly what ^ he said and problem fixed.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Common problem with most of our Stangs. The TSB doesn't always resolve the problem as indicated by those on the forum that had the repair done. So bite the bullet like the rest of us and twist the handle and/or slow down the delivery and/or use a different gas pump. I've heard that swinging a dead chicken over your head in a counter clockwise direction while whistling the national anthem backward and pumping with your bare left foot sometimes helps...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 AM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Always use the slowest setting, and don't put the nozzle in all of the way. If I do, it will keep clicking off, so I just keep pulling it out further and further while trying again until it works.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Had this problem as well. Two things always work for me. Don't wait for the tank to go past half way full. Try to fill it up before it passes over the half way mark. Second is too barely put the gas pump into the tank. Put it on the slowest setting and just take your time. Use the time to admire your car or others looking at it.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Problem!