Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes o/r H installation...wow *56K...come on in*

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:54 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Default Pypes o/r H installation...wow *56K...come on in*

So I got my Pypes o/r H in the mail today and threw that sucker on. The process was not without its trials, however.

Jacking up the car:

The stock pipe in all its glory...

A shot of the modular design of the Pypes midpipe...would have much rather had it in two large pieces than 4 small ones...

Not sure what the hell these were for...

My complaint with the modular setup? Check this out...the spacers in the clamp BROKE...not once, but TWICE...Thank God Brenspeed sent me some Pypes muffler deletes by accident. I was able to scavenge some clamp spacers from that kit. I will own up to it to Brenspeed of course.
Ah one

Ah two

Last but CERTAINLY not least...the epic struggle with the forward O2 sensor on the passenger side. I had to pull the female end out of the holes it was clipped into in order for both ends to meet. You probably want to buy an O2 raiser to avoid this hassle. Basically, the forward O2 on this side is shimmied down about an inch further than stock. This creates problems when you're trying to plug that sensor back in. My hand got destroyed in the process thanks to a few well-placed hoses. The large vein on top of my wrist is mushed permanently into my hand now...but I got it...without an O2 raiser. I would not recommend my technique at all.

*I left my LoudMouths on after the install...bad idea. If you think muffler deletes and an o/r pipe is loud on YouTube, you have no idea. A quick rev to 2500 rpm sounds like thunder from a lightning strike 50 feet away. Except thunder sounds cool...This setup does not. It's so completely loud that it is just unbearable. You will draw the ire of everyone within 3 miles. I had to book it back home to swap the stockers in and avoid getting my *** thrown in jail for disturbing the whole state.

I'm not one to diss loudness...but it didn't even sound good. Like open headers on a crappy motorcycle. There was a raspy flutter to it as well that didn't add to the effect... but holy HELL...it was mother effing loud. My ears are still ringing from a WOT run under a large overpass. 3rd gear passes on the highway are just unnervingly loud.

I thought it would be gutsy going o/r H with LoudMouths...nope...just stupid. I need me some Stingers...*
Old 06-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

How hard was it to take off the 2 bolts on each side that held the cats to the stock header? I tried to do mine yesterday and i could not get it. I used an impact and everything and i think i stripped one on the drivers side. Did you have the car sit a long time before hand? Any pointers will help. And i have corsa axlebacks what do you think it will sound like? Thanks and good write up
Old 06-27-2009, 08:43 PM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

Hey man looks good!I bet it is LOUd!!! Did you ever find out what those little metal pieces are for? I was wondering as well? Cuz I have a exhaust leak from hell and wondered if they went in the down pipes that bolt to the manifold?

Thanks marty
Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 PM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless06
How hard was it to take off the 2 bolts on each side that held the cats to the stock header? I tried to do mine yesterday and i could not get it. I used an impact and everything and i think i stripped one on the drivers side. Did you have the car sit a long time before hand? Any pointers will help. And i have corsa axlebacks what do you think it will sound like? Thanks and good write up
let mine sit for about 30 mins hit it with some pb blaster pulled out the air compressor and impact and broke loose easily
Old 06-27-2009, 08:57 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Those little pipes go in the H pipe where it meets up to the header. They are used to prevent exhaust leaks...............
Old 06-27-2009, 09:04 PM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by david01130
Those little pipes go in the H pipe where it meets up to the header. They are used to prevent exhaust leaks...............
haha that explains it all because I have horrible one right now looks like I'll jack her up tommorow so just drop those in?

Thanks alot man
Old 06-27-2009, 09:12 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

yea they just slide in the h-pipe.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:20 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Lol @ Pypes quality...
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 PM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

Thanks David
Old 06-27-2009, 09:44 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless06
I zapped every nut with some WD40, and was able to muscle them off...my car does only have 10700 miles though...

Originally Posted by david01130
Are they absolutely necessary?...and how would I know if I have an exhaust leak? It's not one of those "you would know..." deals is it?...because I don't hear anything except for what seems like raspy, rhythmic sputtering (from the tailpipes) under any kind of substantial throttle...Seems normal though considering I now have an o/r pipe...

Quick Reply: Pypes o/r H installation...wow *56K...come on in*