Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 500 Pinout for i-Pod

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:42 PM
GTGallop

Default Shaker 500 Pinout for i-Pod

Hey! Noob here. Shoot me if this isn't the right location. I've been searching this site and many others regarding the location and parts to hook up an i-Pod adaptor. Some of the messages get close to the answer I need, but don't quite go all the way.

The adaptor I have has RCA jacks on it (from Best Buy). When I pulled the Shaker out it only had ford wiring harnesses. Damn Henry! Any who... Here are my specific questions:

1. Can it be done? Can I hook an AUX i-Pod controller in?
2. Can it be done with what I have?
3. Do I need new/additional parts?
4. What would those parts be if needed?
5. Tips? Tricks? Pointers? Ideas? Helpful Suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:20 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

It's called ISimple. I want one, but they're not cheap. They allow you to play music from your Ipod/Mp3 player and control it from your system. I think they're at best buy. I'd buy one myself, but I'm saving for a Roush conversion.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

To hook up an iPod, or any AUX input for that matter, in an 05/06 you will need to purchase an aftermarket kit which includes a new wiring harness (that plugs in between your current harness and the Shaker head unit) and a control box (for lack of a better term) that will take the output from your iPod and turn it into something the car can use and (for the more advanced systems) allow the radio controls to control the iPod.

There is no where on the head unit itself for you to plug an AUX input into.

As to what you would need, I personally recommend the iSimple ISDF73. They run about $150 and you can get them at Bestbuy (and probably other retailers) if you're lucky, or online at various outlets. It allows for two separate AUX inputs of your choice between iPod, RCA/Stereo mini, and HDRadio (with purchase of a separate tuner, both other input cables are included in the kit).

Last edited by Kotobuki; 06-28-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 AM
GTGallop

Perfect!

The kit we got was an iSimple. I'm not sure of the model number but it is the basic/universal kit that runs to two RCA outputs - nothing more, nothing less...

We looked at the iSimple ISFD73 last night while we were there. They didn't have the correct one for our year/model, but could get it. The guy in the blue shirt said that "either one will work" so the decision making path looked like this.

Option A - Wait for a part that may take a week to come in, and pay $150.

or

Option B - Get a part tonight that cost $50.00 and be done with it.

With outh the additional knowledge you guys have shared it was a no-brainer. Now it is looking like a second trip to Best Buy and return ours and wait for the right one to come in.

I might swing through Fry's Electronics at lunch next week to see what they have. It's also been a while since I donned the pocket protector and taped up glasses to cruise the local Radio Shack. Might check there as well. I like to get lots of opinions (obviously why I'm here...).

I'll post an update when I'm done.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I bought the iSimple and have it installed, I use it on occassion, but I've decided that I may replace my whole head unit instead. The problem being, that when you have a large number of playlists like me (over 400 based on albums), it's difficult having to press the button repeatedly to scroll to a certain playlist For example...

If I want to play some Social Distortion, I probably have to press the ff button over 300 times just to get to one of the 3 playlists I have of theirs. I can't just press it once and hold it down. Plus, when you do go through the folders (via the Fast Forward button), you don't see the Playlist name, you actually just see the # of the folder until you stop scrolling.

Additionally, there were no additional parts to buy. The iSimple was designed to work for the Ford headunit. I have the cable routed to the dashboard glove compartment.

I'm going to be on vacation from July 4-14 and when I come back to town, (hopefully Pioneer releases their new lineup by then) I'll be getting a new headunit installed. I'll have my iSimple uninstalled.

If you are interested, I can probably (well, most likely) sell it to you cheaper than what Best Buy is selling it for. I bought it there for $150 bucks as well just like they mentioned above.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

plus I'm in Austin, sounds like you may be too! If you want to see it in action, let me know (assuming you are in Austin)

Last edited by Murphdog; 06-28-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:19 PM
BigGameHunter589
2nd Gear Member

Isimples can be a pain scrolling through massive lists but it gets the job done (playing and charging ipods) I think they run for $160 but with a little patience they can be Ebay'ed pretty cheap. I got mine for around $95
Old 06-28-2009, 12:42 PM
mwinter501
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know if they work with the iphone?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If you have an 07/08 you "should" have a 3.5 mm headphone jack in the center console. This is like a RCA connection but much simplier. I have a Shaker 500 and in the center console, next to the power outlet there is a 3.5mm input.

To use this I simply hook the ipod up to the jack with a 3.5mm male to male cable. I then swith to my AUX input on the stereo. Easy as pie.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You can also try P.I.E. adaptors if you're looking to have iPod controls available from the head unit as well. In most cases though if you have satellite radio (like I do) this is not an option since you lose the satellite capability.

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 Pinout for i-Pod