Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.10 gears - won't spin

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I have 275/40/18 out back, high performance summer time. I can always chirp into 2nd but if I get it just right I will smoke the tires and chirp into third. Maybe there is something else wrong with the car? Are you at a higher elevation?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I can chirp going into 2nd. Just can't stab it from a roll in first and get them to break loose.

I am at 3200' elevation and often times the overall DA is well over 4000'. Hard to say for sure whether that is making a big enough difference or not to really be a factor here.

Regardless the car has no CEL displayed and purrs like a kitten. If there is a problem with the car it's certainly not very obvious.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I may be wrong about this but from my understanding due to the design of our engines (being OHC) they make torque at a higher rpm than a pushrod engine like the LSx. Therefore, it's a design issue.
It's not particularly because it's an OHC engine, although intake velocity might be a little sluggish at low rpm with two intake valves. It's one of the consequences of tuning an NA engine for 65 bhp and almost 70 ft-lbs per liter, with peak torque occurring at 4500 and peak HP at 6000. Unless you use a VTEC sort of arrangement possibly with variable resonance intake manifolding, low end torque suffers. The charge motion plates help, but can only do so much.

Chevy's LS engines shouldn't be much better, relatively speaking. Having 25% - 30% more displacement to work with can cover for a fair amount of low end output being "soft".

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-08-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:00 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

4000 ft elevation shouldn't do much to it. With stock tires though you should have problems keeping traction in 2nd when you hit it hard, you would think.

What RPMs do you shift at when you go from 1st to 2nd?

When I am shifting I usually try to shift around 5500-6000 and when i shift hard enough the back end gets loose.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I shifted into 2nd at 6000rpm. I don't side step the clutch or power shift it. I slip it out, albeit quickly. Still enough to occasionally chirp the tires if I do it just right. But no the car still holds and doesn't bust the back end loose and start floating on me. Leastways it didn't when I tried this last night.

Norm - thanks again for the explanation(s).
Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

I hate when someone says a 'stall converter" that is like saying an 'inch tire' huh. Stall is a function of the converter. like an inch is a function of a tire size. . ie.. 17" tire, 18" tire.. and 3000 rpm stall or a 3500 stall speed converter. There is NO such thing as a 'stall converter. all converters have stall speed. How much is what makes a converter launch harder..
BTW- I can burn the tires on a 1-2 shift with 3.31 gears.. Enough to activate the traction control

Originally Posted by Riptide
Friend of mine tells me it's because I have a manual. And that a stall converter, auto car, is more likely to break the tires loose even from a roll.

"auto you can wot then flash it so it hits the pwoerband alot faster therefor spin tires easier"

Thats what he is telling me. I don't understand the explanation though.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I cant spin the tires from a roll either unless i slip the clutch a little. Like stated in the thread its just not the way the engine and manual transmission is set to do easily. I wouldnt worry. I can when shifting when i want to just as you have stated.

And anyone thinking 4.10s with a manual is to much are pussies! The stories here exaggerate how the car acts. First gear is very short but you can easily manage wheelspin unless you are FI or have an odd tune with to much touchiness.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:50 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

well, my 4:10's act differently than described by most. i can ignite the tires from a 2500 roll and polish second and chirp third, easily.....from a dig....major burn-outs.
i run a 255/45/18 kdw2
my 2 cents
Old 07-08-2009, 12:51 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I love my 4.10s. I hate when people talk about gas mileagle too. Come on, its a mustang, it only burns two things gas and rubber.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yeah I think some of the comparisons being thrown into the thread, though welcome, are a bit short on the details. Tire/wheel size and transmission are factors. Without that information it's hard to draw conclusions.

Quick Reply: 4.10 gears - won't spin