Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting that bug..thinking about headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Lightbulb getting that bug..thinking about headers

Well i am getting tired of trying to save for a turbo or s/c and have been thinking of buying some headers. I was going to do 4.10 gears (I have 3.31) but it would be about $400 installed. The alternative being getting some long tube headers because i get sound AND power.

Edit: I have intake/ tune and offroad H and manual

I will probably try the install with a couple of friends and some beer. I will also see if a exaust shop can modify my offroad H and weld it to my long tubes so i dont have to buy a mid pipe. it will definitely be with no cats. So that would leave me with the cost of the long tubes + probably some motor mounts. My question is, how good is the following brands in terms of sound and hp gain because they seem to be fairly cheap.

Macs $400

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAC-0...4506.m20.l1116

Dougs $500 (just found these randomly , dont know crap about them)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dougs...39%3A1%7C72%3A

Pacesetter $300(I would get em coated)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...A1%7C72%3A1171

JBA $600

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JBA-H...A1%7C72%3A1171

BBK $500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BBK-1...A1%7C72%3A1171

I also might get cams so i want some that combine good.

Last edited by bolivianpimp; 07-08-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I've read mixed results with headers. Some people show very little gains especially without a supercharger in the mix. And to top it off the installation is expensive unless you do all the work yourself.

I put these way down on the list and am getting a blower before I even consider them.

I realize it's controversial but if you read Kenne Bell's tech documents they don't recommend headers on these cars. At all. They got zero gains out of them.

YMMV.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I've read mixed results with headers. Some people show very little gains especially without a supercharger in the mix. And to top it off the installation is expensive unless you do all the work yourself.

I put these way down on the list and am getting a blower before I even consider them.

I realize it's controversial but if you read Kenne Bell's tech documents they don't recommend headers on these cars. At all. They got zero gains out of them.

YMMV.
+1. Our stock headers, IMO, flow very very good for Naturally Aspirated applications. Our Mustangs aren't Honda's. Most imported 4 cylinder vehicles such as Honda Civics and what not don't have the best flowing headers which is why EVERYONE swaps them out. Talk to any of your import friends and they will almost all say that headers is a very good mod. For their cars, yes. But not for our Stangs unless you're running a lot of power. I would only change headers if I was running a lot of power such as being supercharged or turboed. I would save my money unless you're looking for little gains and some sound. In my opinion, if you're not satisfied with your current sound then get an O/R pipe and a nice set of mufflers. The install of the mid pipe + mufflers is a breeze and is as simple as bolting and unbolting.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Super D
1st Gear Member

Bassani LT's, X-pipe, cat-back. Sounds pretty stock, right?

http://www.vimeo.com/5090384
Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 AM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

i have jba headers, love them, but depending on what brand you get you will need certain extras. for jba you can get them for $529 from American muscle, but you will need the gaskets $50, second you will need o2 extensions $40, get the bbk ones not the ones from american muscle because they are too short, third don't know if you have a tune but you will need one, so add the price of the tuner $380 and tune $50 from bama best tune by far into the cost, if you don't already have one, if you have 3.31 gears i am assuming you have an auto, like i do, which means that the header on the pass. side will be 1 1/2" away from the starter, i blew my starter from the heat, fine in winter time not in summer in hot florida and since you live in texas you might run into the same problem, from the headers and had to replace $175 with a heat shield which was $50. so in the end my $529 headers cost me $1,274. i am not saying don't get them, they are great, but don't think that you will get them for $600 and be done with it, and they are by no means an easy install
Old 07-08-2009, 08:34 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Yeah it sounds pretty stock… How much gain did you see on your car from the long tubes?

I already have an offroad H , so I am itching for a little more loudness. Would you say long tubes or 4.10s give you a better gain in performance?

Last edited by bolivianpimp; 07-08-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:45 AM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

4.10 will give you more go, a lot of go, but as for a dyno #, if that is what you are looking for, the headers will give you torque increase whereas the gears will not show on the dyno
Old 07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Headers in my opinion are the least cost effective h.p. per dollar you can buy. The stock exhaust flows really well on our cars. You really should get the 4.10's much more performance and fun for the money. Aluminum d/s, electric water pump, sticky tires are all good mods that will go with a S/C later on. If you want better sound get some boomtubes or stingers and they're easy to install.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i say get them the sound alone is def worth it and i got macs and did the install myself and they are awsome and fit awsome
Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Vectorpat
2nd Gear Member

Go for the gears 1st. Headers arent that noticable of a difference IMHO. If you want different sound that can be done with mufflers

Quick Reply: getting that bug..thinking about headers