Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership wants to keep car over night for plastic clip..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Dealership wants to keep car over night for plastic clip..

The plastic black cover over the trunk latch where the glow handle is, broke. It dangles by the light since the clips no longer hold it on properly. So I take it to Ford, still under warranty. They want to keep the car then get back to me. I'm like buddy look here is the part (hold it in my hand with trunk open) it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. Lets see if they have the part in stock, if so, write it up and I"ll be on my way. The fix should take no more than 10 seconds.

They refused and told me the car must stay there. So I have to find someone to drive me and pick me up for a 10 second 2 dollar plastic clip? Taking the tech away from real work costs more than the entire part! Companies should never be this rigid. So I didn't drop the car off.

I'm just going to crazy glue the hell out it , It should work fine and I don't have to drop the car off....

Ford, work smarter not harder!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:23 PM
5T4NG
2nd Gear Member

yeah, when I was shopping around for my mustang I cam accross several with this part broken. Which is odd because its not like you ever touch it, unless you are putting people or something in your trunk lol
Old 07-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Order the part from them at the parts dept.

Then put it back on yourself.
Save you time.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Am I surprised? No. Is everyone this dumb? Not by a long shot...
Old 07-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hy8us
yeah, when I was shopping around for my mustang I cam accross several with this part broken. Which is odd because its not like you ever touch it, unless you are putting people or something in your trunk lol
It's a poor design. It is held in by two metal clips that the black plastic slides into. When you shut your trunk the force is pulling the plastic cover away from the bottom side of the deck lid. Over time this will turn into this model's 5.0 arm rest latch.... If you ever find a 5.0 with an arm rest latch that still works buy a lottery ticket... It's extremely rare.

Depending on trunk use 95% of these should break over time...
Old 07-13-2009, 04:13 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Mark down your mileage... ask me how I know.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

Stupid dealerships. Had the same "hold the car over" deal happen to me but on a different part on my 06 I had. Crazy.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:51 PM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

I don't know, that sounds like a "while you wait" repair. What ind of relationship do you have with your service department? My service writer always asks me if I want to wait, he knows how fussy I am with my cars and truck and they prefer not to keep any of my 3 Ford vehicles there longer than needed. But I have to say, I have been going there since 1995, so they pretty much know me. Also, I do use them for oil changes on my F150 and my daughters Taurus, so I do throw them some money occasionally. I don't just go there for warranty work, that does matter. They do have some good internet service specials, so I take advantage of that. Thank you Sayville Ford.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
So I didn't drop the car off.
LOL...so ford didnt order your part,didnt have any one fix it and didnt spend a dime on it, sounds like the perfect solution.............for them!!

should have made them go get that **** out of a brand new car.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

I broke mine. Fixed it by using a torch to melt the plastic on the housing and the broken clip, then held them together until the plastic cooled off. Been holding fine for about a month.

Quick Reply: Dealership wants to keep car over night for plastic clip..