Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might Buy Used GT Tonight - Tips Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:14 AM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

Default Might Buy Used GT Tonight - Tips Needed

I found a 2009 Mustang GT 45th Anniversary for sale at a local Ford dealership. Recently, I have been looking for a new Mustang since my current one is crapping out at 120,000 miles. I wanted a new 2015 but the payments would be way too high for how much I want to spend right now - getting married in a few months .

So the car has 30,000 miles and they are asking for $16,000. I figure after negotiating with taxes, fees, and title is should be about $16-$16,500 total.

Since I have had my V6 S197 for 8 years now I am pretty familiar with the ins and outs. However, I was curious if anyone could offer tips for things to look for on a S197 GT. Were there any specific issues that year(s) I should focus on when inspecting the car? I know about the spark plug issue.

Last edited by steveo555; 04-14-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:54 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

An 09 should have the newer plug heads, so no problem there. If it is an auto, it might have the upgraded 150 amp Denso alternator too (the Denso became std equipment in the automatic 10's). The Denso does not have a clutch pulley and has a black cover on the back.
Other than that the 09's had all the usual hiccups that all the other
S197's had - like balljoints, sway bar links, strut mounts, etc.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:46 PM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
An 09 should have the newer plug heads, so no problem there. If it is an auto, it might have the upgraded 150 amp Denso alternator too (the Denso became std equipment in the automatic 10's). The Denso does not have a clutch pulley and has a black cover on the back.
Thank you! I did not know this information.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:57 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Did you end up buying her?
Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 AM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Did you end up buying her?
Nope, I wanted to sleep on the decision. After about 3 hours they came down to $11,300 out the door (taxes, title, fee, trade in etc..). They are willing to give me $6k for my car. I also had the car looked at by Carmax yesterday and they offered $5k. Its a nice car and super clean. The GT gives the feeling that someone really only drove this for 5,000 miles a year aka a weekend car. It too is very clean and felt fine driving.

I did look over the car and engine department. Nothing major on the body except a two inch scratch. In the engine bay I did have a few questions I was hoping someone could chime in about.

1. The throttle body has really long bolts holding it to the intake (they might be sticking out 1.5inches?). I am pretty sure on my V6 the bolts are flush with the throttle body.

2. The coil packs look to be purple in color? Is the stock or am I looking the fuel injectors? And would that be the stock color? I ask because they looked super clean and didn't have an ounce of grease on them.

3. There was no black cover over the alternator as mentioned by a previous poster which would indicate the newer alternator; is that a bad thing?

4. There was a ton of paint bubbling and actual paint loss under the hood. My V6 had a few spots where it had bubbled and peeled. However, this GT had it all along the lip of the hood was bubbled. Then what looked like the area where the hood meets radiator support were two areas of complete paint loss about the size of my fist; equal distance from each other. Is this something to be concerned about?
Old 04-15-2015, 10:04 AM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Steveo, I have a 09 gt so I'll try and help you out best i can...

1. Throttle body to intake bolts; mine stick out maybe half an inch, but I also have the silver cover over the intake so that may be a contributing factor. I wouldn't worry too much about this.

2. The purple you see is factory correct. Oddly enough, when I was checking on my battery-tender the other week, I had noticed this too and also thought maybe the previous owner had gone to aftermarket injectors, but my car is otherwise stock. Nope. Purple is how they should be.

3. My alternator also does NOT have the black cover on it (5 speed here). Now, it is somewhat common for the 3V cars to have problematic alternators. Having said that, I have never heard of specifically a 09's alternator crapping out; they've always been 05-08's that have the problems. Interestingly, when window-shopping for a replacement alternator, all the options I have ever come across are for 05-08 only, I have never seen one for an 09. I don't really know why, and I would be interested in more information on this myself. Having said that, I wouldn't worry about your electrical system.

4. Hood corrosion. Very common problem on these cars as you may already be aware. I've been lucky (jinxed it now, surely) and both my 05's and current 09's hood have never had ANY corrosion issues. It seems to be luck-of-the-draw here. Not much you can really do here except maybe use it as a bargaining chip when finalizing a price (sounds like you're getting a pretty good deal as it is) and then buy an aftermarket hood of your choice once you buy the car. Fiberglass hoods will exhibit no corrosion as seen on the factory aluminum hoods.

Hope this helps, and hopefully someone can chime iin on what the deal is with the 2009 alternators.

Good luck getting the car, I love my 09 (glass roof ALL DAY) and I'm sure you'll love yours too!
Old 04-15-2015, 04:49 PM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drfister
Steveo, I have a 09 gt so I'll try and help you out best i can...

1. Throttle body to intake bolts; mine stick out maybe half an inch, but I also have the silver cover over the intake so that may be a contributing factor. I wouldn't worry too much about this.

2. The purple you see is factory correct. Oddly enough, when I was checking on my battery-tender the other week, I had noticed this too and also thought maybe the previous owner had gone to aftermarket injectors, but my car is otherwise stock. Nope. Purple is how they should be.

3. My alternator also does NOT have the black cover on it (5 speed here). Now, it is somewhat common for the 3V cars to have problematic alternators. Having said that, I have never heard of specifically a 09's alternator crapping out; they've always been 05-08's that have the problems. Interestingly, when window-shopping for a replacement alternator, all the options I have ever come across are for 05-08 only, I have never seen one for an 09. I don't really know why, and I would be interested in more information on this myself. Having said that, I wouldn't worry about your electrical system.

4. Hood corrosion. Very common problem on these cars as you may already be aware. I've been lucky (jinxed it now, surely) and both my 05's and current 09's hood have never had ANY corrosion issues. It seems to be luck-of-the-draw here. Not much you can really do here except maybe use it as a bargaining chip when finalizing a price (sounds like you're getting a pretty good deal as it is) and then buy an aftermarket hood of your choice once you buy the car. Fiberglass hoods will exhibit no corrosion as seen on the factory aluminum hoods.

Hope this helps, and hopefully someone can chime iin on what the deal is with the 2009 alternators.

Good luck getting the car, I love my 09 (glass roof ALL DAY) and I'm sure you'll love yours too!
Thank you! This is very helpful information. I saw the purple injectors and thought to myself that they might have been an aftermarket item. Another item I thought was odd was the battery area. My 07 V6 has a battery type blanket around it and this GT does not. That probably doesn't matter too much but I did notice the difference. The long bolts on the throttle body made me think that maybe the previous owners changed out the throttle body or something.

Also, they told me they have had this Mustang on the lot for two months. When they started it up and pulled it out of its space I looked on the ground where it was to see if anything has dripped on the pavement and I saw nothing; although it was just starting to rain and who know's if the car has moved around the lot. However, the car was producing a ton of white smoke and the dealer rev'ed the engine a bit and more white smoke came out. I would say maybe 30 seconds later it was gone; this is probably normal especially if it has sat some time?

Another thing, this is a GT 45th anniversary. It has the fake hood scoop, leather seats, automatic, shaker 500, and 18" chrome wheels. But it does not have heated seats, HIDs, glass roof, power passenger seat, or the auto dimming rear view mirror. My 07 was fully loaded (except for navigation) and has dual power seats, heated seats, etc.. So it is kind of odd to me that a newer car and higher up model doesn't have these features.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:55 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Steveo,

Did you notice if the battery it had was a motorcraft (factory) one? Reason being is as you may know, they factory battery in these cars likes to die [what some might say] early. It is possible that the factory battery died and the replacement that was put in (if not motorcraft) is of slightly larger dimensions, necessitating the removal of the foam-surround in order to fit. I had to do this in my 4runner. For the record, my 09 DOES have the foam surround, but it is also running a motorcraft battery.

When I purchased my 09, the previous owner had mentioned about the white smoke sometimes on start up, but he said it goes away once the engine warms. During my ownership of the car, this has happened on occasion but I usually just chock-it-up as cooler temperatures outside. I would consider this normal and only really be concerned if I saw blueish smoke.

As for the options in the car, I believe that's just how the car was optioned, whether it was a deluxe or premium etc. I'm not sure what options were available with which trims, but I have heard of a few cases where a certain 'package' is stated on the window sticker but maybe say 75% of the equipment from said package is there; and then an option or two from another package not listed on the window sticker is included. This COULD be the case as 2009 marked the end of the body style and supply for parts was running low, maybe a they ran out of 'X' but had a surplus of 'Y'? I'm not sure how/if that is possible, but it would explain why certain parts may-or-may not be there.
The car your looking at is probably fine, just a low optioned vehicle.
if you have the vehicle's VIN, add it to the end of this link in you'r web address bar and it will give you the vehicle's window sticker and thus the options that came with it
(put your full VIN after the '=' at the end)

http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...icker.pdf?vin=
Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

If you have a bad feeling about a potential car go with you gut. It's normally right.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:02 AM
KonaBlue11

researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number Lookup/WindowSticker/Ford.html
If you have the Vin you can see the delivered widow sticker

Quick Reply: Might Buy Used GT Tonight - Tips Needed