Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best performance modifications for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Default Best performance modifications for a daily driver?

I am looking to buy some performance mods. The car is a bone-stock 2006 Redfire Ford Mustang GT Premium with Auto transmission. Picture is in the sig. As some of you may have seen my old posts, I have given up upgrading the body first and I now plan to add on some horsepower.

-Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
-Steeda Cold Air Intake
-SCT SF3 Custom Flash Tuner
-Ford Racing FRPP Gears

I need some advice from you guys on what else I need to add to my list.

Exhaust: I'd like to get some longtube headers, a shorty midpipe, and SLP loudmouths, I've heard them, and they sound great. Since it is a daily driver I need to stay under the legal limits for a production car, so I'm asking what I'd need to do to keep from getting pulled over.

Wheels: I have no experience or knowledge of what sort of wheel setup I should be using. All I know is that I'm a huge fan of Saleen rims. I don't know anything about tires, summer tires, winter tires, any of that...

Suspension: Don't know in the least what to do there, thought about doing the Roush suspension kit and lowering an inch.

And lastly, I want some opinions on whether I should use a Supercharger or nitrous, and what brand of one or the other.

I am planning on doing a little body work here and there, but that's not really in my mindset now. I was thinking of flat black or silver LeMans with rocker stripes, louvers, blackout panel, all that.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

I wouldn't bother with pullies to be honest. A couple buddies with them say they can't feel any difference. CMDP's are hailed as a decent mod for 10 RWHP and a noticeable feeling. You could look into gears also, but those will hurt your MPGs, and regarding which brand you get cause a whine(on some sizes), and cause your max speed in each gear to decrease.

I'd go with the cheapest CAI you could find on Brenspeed(JLTII in my case), you wont find any difference in power between the brands.

For suspension, my LCA's really helped by a major factor. I can actually launch on my crapelies! A K-Member brace is also a pretty good, cheap mod. Mine is still setting on my desk(same with hood pins) waiting for me to get parts(Breaker bar, 21/22 Deep sockets, 1/2" Torque wrench. UGH)

Best bang for the buck tires imo would be Riken Raptors, my friends all have KDW's, and they hate them with a passion. They are made by Michelin and are very cheap, good tread wear also!

That exhaust setup is going to be insane! Hope you keep a bottle of excedrin in your car! haha, everyone with an O/R pipe or LT's will tell you to keep it a gear high or lay off the gas when next to Mr. Po.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:20 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

well, since you are in Texas...don't worry about Winter Wheels. Just keep the stockers you have for the 1-2 months each winter when the Frost comes

your list of:
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
-Steeda Cold Air Intake
-SCT SF3 Custom Flash Tuner
-Ford Racing FRPP Gears
will net you about 15-30 HP...maybe a bit more. I'm not sure how much the 4.6 3v responds to mods yet compared to my old 5.4

The biggest thing you can do is gears. Wake that puppy up with some FRPP 4.10 gears. You will lose the highway RPM's...but the around town and just general driving happiness will go through the roof.
You have 3.31 gears right now right?

4.10 gears will make the car feel like you bolted on 30-40 HP...instant unadulterated fun.

now, a blower is alot of fun...it isn't for everybody. I had a RoushCharger on my F-150 and yee gods that was fun. I only ran 6 psi and I could lay down rubber for easily 30+ feet and from a 20 mph dig, I could break them loose....must have been the almost 500 TQ
but the pricetag for a blower is alot.

You are looking at $4,500 for a decent 100% kit.

then install $$$ as well. I did my own install, but not alot of people can or are able to do so.

so $4,500 + install $$$...so about $5-5,500 installed for a blower
and then custom tuning...it gets downright expensive very quickly
Old 07-15-2009, 08:58 AM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

skip the steeda cai, get the jlt, wish i would have, but the jlt is at least $150 less then steeda and will work just as well, plus for $15 they will paint it to any color you want, pulleys are all right, mainly get the cai, gears, and bama tune and you will be good to go
Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Aren't longtubes illegal anyway? I'm pretty sure longtubes are for off road use only.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 AM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Mamba GTT
Aren't longtubes illegal anyway? I'm pretty sure longtubes are for off road use only.
only if you live in a emissions area, if you don't know will live ever check or know for that matter
Old 07-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The UDP's will net you roughly 5 RWHP; some may and others may not feel it in the SOTP.

The Steeda CAI may possibly be used later with the SC, depending on which one you get if I recall. Exhaust mods, with the exception of headers, won't gain you much if any power, just sound.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Start off with the JLT cold air intake and tuner kit from Bama chips. They'll make a big difference in your auto.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

LT headers were one of my fav mods i dont know about power wise but the sound is just awsome when cruising around
Old 07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
LT headers were one of my fav mods i dont know about power wise but the sound is just awsome when cruising around
Deekum your car is a BADASS. Just so you know.

Quick Reply: Best performance modifications for a daily driver?