Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A more exotic sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

How about this?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:10 PM
cammedz06

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Offer a pair of small resonators before the axles to stop it from having that tin can rasp sound and you're set.
Ricardo,
Thank you for the feedback! The tin can rasp that you are referring to: Are you talking about on the decal or under acceleration? We still have some work to do on the decel for sure, it has some nasty ( not good nasty) that we are working on tuning out. If thats the case that you are referring to, we are on it! If its on the acceleration, the work we do on the decel should soften up the rasp on the acceleration side. With cats, the rasp is much reduced.

Thanks again for the feedback, keep it coming!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:45 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Corsa exhaust has that more "european" sound that you're looking for.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
I'm interested in giving my GT a more exotic exhaust note. I like the refined sound of the VQ35's (350Zs) and so on. I'd like the motor to be a bit tighter sounding, perhaps more baritone than bass.

I keep reading that an X-pipe helps with this?
An X-pipe is exactly what you want. Here's a plot I worked up for another purpose. The bass-note V8 rumble is the tall peaks in the top chart and is a consequence of two cylinders in the same bank firing in sequence (and start to merge into a single heavier pulse). When you merge the two banks you suppress this and end up with a higher-pitched smoother sounding tone. A sixxer with dual exhaust sounds like the lower chart naturally, even an inline 6 with the exhausts grouped front three / rear three.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-28-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Wait for Voodoo to hit the streets,
The first is a twin-turbocharged V-8, code-named “Voodoo,” which displaces between 5.0 and 5.5 liters and, most intriguingly, has a “flat-plane” or 180-degree crankshaft, as Ferrari has used in its V-8s since 1973. This configuration, also found in the late Lotus Esprit V-8, is akin to connecting two four-cylinder banks to a common crankshaft. Flat cranks theoretically improve power, throttle response, and the soundtrack at the expense of greater vibration. This EcoBoost V-8 will produce between 550 and 600 horses. It will power a Shelby GT350–branded model that eventually will take over from the GT500, as Ford is desperate to discontinue that car’s costly and thirsty Trinity.
It will probably **** of the Traditional V8 guys just because of the sound.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:22 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Your info states you have a 2012 V6. I am assuming this is a typo?
Any who, I've been told by a service tech at NTB that my Sixxer sounds and drives a lot like his old 350Z.
I wasn't sure how to respond. :-/
Old 10-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Topic was started over 4 years ago, maybe before you could even get a '10 never mind a '12.

Norm
Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I'm in austin.. basically little berkely CA lol. bunch of idiots in this town. they can't contain their criminal element but are sooooo politically left that they deal with them. it's so funny and sad at the same time.

We still get looked at funny and ridiculed for anything louder than the average exhaust setup .
I dunno man, I live in South Austin and I get all the right looks with my car hahaha and I don't even have cats

In response to the OP though, you bought a muscle car. You're not going to make it sound like an Alfa Romeo or an Aston because those cars are engineered completely different than our cars. The cleanest exhaust set up you can get is going to be the quietest one, which is probably gonna be stock. +1 on the Bullit axelbacks though, they have an AWESOME clean deep tone, I loved them on my friend's Bullit
Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

OP you're an idiot for trying to get your Mustang GT to sound like a 350z. 350z's sound like a swarm of bees...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:15 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

From what I understand, the only mustang that could be made to remotely sound like the 350z was the 94-04 3.8L cars because they were also an even fire v6 like the z.

Quick Reply: A more exotic sound?