Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:24 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default Rear end clunk

My car clunks like crazy on the 1-2 shift and low speed 2-3 shifts. Its the worst when my car is cold, but it isnt much better when the car is warm. It sounds like metal on metal. I always thought it was the driveshaft, but the driveshaft bolts all seem tight. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it or at least know where it comes from? Its really embarrassing having people looking at my car as i drive through the parking lot checking out my car, then i shift and it clunks like crazy no matter how i shift- slow, fast, whatever.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:25 AM
SixN2

Set your parking brake, put the tranny in neutral and crawl under the rear end of the car. Grab the pinion yoke (where the driveshaft connects to the differential) with one hand and grab the drive shaft with the other... try twisting back and forth to see if you have any play in the u-joint. Do the same thing at the front of the driveshaft where it connects to the tranny. If your u-joints don't have play in them, go back to the rear again. Grab the driveshaft and twist it back and forth; you should only have about 1/4 inch or so rotational play. Also watch the pinion yoke to see if it is moving in and out of the differential when you twist the driveshaft, it shouldn't have any play in this direction.

If the u-joints have play, replace them. If you have excessive play at the pinion yoke (either rotational or fore and aft), you may have slop in your gears or worn pinion/differential bearings... take it to a reputal axle repair shop to have it checked out.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:49 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the tip. Anyone else have any ideas if that doesnt work?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:22 AM
tfedorka2001

Let me know what you find I have the same problem to.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:15 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

dorka, what mods do you have?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:26 PM
rbinck
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
Thanks for the tip. Anyone else have any ideas if that doesnt work?
What SixN2 suggested hopefully will point you to the problem. If the issue is not in the rear end or u-joints, the next suspect would be the transmission. Maybe a bad synchronizer or who knows what else? Hopefully it is just a bad u-joint.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

i havent gotten a chance to do the whole thing he said, but earlier this week, i had the car jacked up so the wheels were off the ground and the transmission in gear and it seemed like the only play was inside the actual transmission, but i guess i need to put the e-brake on to search for play in the u-joints.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Thunder10
1st Gear Member

I thought this was just a common problem with our cars? Not only does my car do this, but the 2009 GT I test drove also had a clunky driveshaft.

Has anybody had the dealer look at this problem while still under warranty? Maybe I should take it in before it runs out.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I had the same type issues and it was a loose shock. I got under the car and had my wife push up and down on the car until I isolated the noise.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:28 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

So you could hear the noise by pushing down on the bumper and loading the suspension? I'll go try this now and see if i can hear anything. If anyone else finds anything out, please keep the rest of us posted so we know how to fix it. I didn't know how the dealer would respond to my mods, so i havent gone in yet.

Quick Reply: Rear end clunk