Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 500 audio noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
tomz

Originally Posted by AJ_68
I've been communicating with FordEngineer who has been extremely helpful. He doesn't hear the noise on his '10 Premium GT, however, he has navigation. This issue might be isolated to non-Nav Shaker 500 vehicles.
And FordEngineer does have a Shaker 500 and not a Shaker 1000?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Nav only comes with Shaker 500.

Last edited by Adam; 07-21-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

With the help of Tomz we've figured out some additional information.

The noise coming through the door subs when the volume is at "0" bars is from the AM/FM input. Here's the situation:

1) key in ACC mode, listening to "livin' la vida loca" at a moderate volume on FM 97.3.

2) I turn the volume down to "0" bars and can still faintly hear the beat of the music coming from the door subwoofers

3) With my head somewhat close to the subwoofer, I change the input to USB

4) I can STILL hear "livin la vida loca" playing at the same muffled volume even though my input is no longer on AM/FM

This doesn't solve the problem but it's one step closer to figuring out what exactly the issue is. It seems to only occur on non-navigation shaker 500 Mustangs.

Last edited by Adam; 07-20-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Besides the AM/FM leaking through, there's still a HISS or faint rumble coming through the subs at low volume, no matter what input you are using. I'm sure it's there at all volumes, and it may actually get louder, but it's more difficult to hear it when a song is at a typical listening volume.

Last edited by Adam; 07-20-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:11 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I have the Shaker 500 and have the SAME issues. The hissing is only noticeable at very very low volumes (when you can't really hear the music). Once you turn it up it sounds awesome. These are the first set of factory speakers I DO NOT plan on replacing. That says a lot.....
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM
tadi
1st Gear Member

I have the exact same issue and noticed it the day I got the car home while I was sitting in the driveway reading the sync manual.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:11 PM
dconfer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
With the help of Tomz we've figured out some additional information.

The noise coming through the door subs when the volume is at "0" bars is from the AM/FM input. Here's the situation:

1) key in ACC mode, listening to "livin' la vida loca" at a moderate volume on FM 97.3.

2) I turn the volume down to "0" bars and can still faintly hear the beat of the music coming from the door subwoofers

3) With my head somewhat close to the subwoofer, I change the input to USB

4) I can STILL hear "livin la vida loca" playing at the same muffled volume even though my input is no longer on AM/FM

This doesn't solve the problem but it's one step closer to figuring out what exactly the issue is. It seems to only occur on non-navigation shaker 500 Mustangs.
This explains why I cant hear it because I have the nav system. Got my car yesterday and was trying to hear it last night in the driveway.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:04 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Default ISSUE RESOLVED

Okay, so after doing some digging with the core radio and sound engineering team, there's some news to share.

The cause of the problem is a Digital Signal Processing (DSP) issue from Clarion (the supplier for the Shaker 500 system), that affects the Audio Control Module. It has already been fixed for Job2 Mustangs (second production batch), but for everyone that has a Job1 Mustang with this issue, it's going to require a trip to the service department.

The problem requires both a hardware AND a software fix, so unfortunately, the entire ACM is going to need to be replaced. I'm not sure if Ford has a TSB out for it or not, so in the event your dealer service rep gives you that glassy-eyed stare, here's what they'll need to do:

Replace the ACM.

Plain and simple. Make sure that they get a replacement part that is a Job2-batch part, so that the exact same problem doesn't get re-installed in your vehicle.

That SHOULD fix the problem. If you have this done, please post and let us know if the problem goes away.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Thank you for the update!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

So who wants to be the first guinnea pig?

I might bring my car in on Monday, but I want to know 100% that the new ACM is "job2" before installation. If I need to get it replaced more than once I'm not going to be happy.

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 audio noise