Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

additional things for long tubes install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by jlugo_70
ok so got a quote on the install for the headers. the thing that caught my attention was that he mentioned that the stock bolts that go on the exhaust manifolds could break when taking them off. i do have new bolts for the jba headers is this true? specially with a newer car? my mustang is 2007 with 26k miles
I would get the stage 8 header bolts....do it right and right the first time
Old 08-13-2009, 07:32 AM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

ok so got a quote on the install for the headers. the thing that caught my attention was that he mentioned that the stock bolts that go on the exhaust manifolds could break when taking them off. i do have new bolts for the jba headers is this true? specially with a newer car? my mustang is 2007 with 26k miles
If it was a northern car w/ salt'ed roads in the winter time then they might break. I had no issues with taking my original bolts off on a 05 model w/ 45k. If you are having a shop do the install they should know to soak every bolt w/ penetrating lube, such as PB Blaster...Just to be on the safe side. Plus the block shouldn't be hot while removing the bolts.

Good Luck!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:23 AM
jlugo_70
1st Gear Member

well a new issue came up. they were able to take the bolts off without any problem but they are saying that the drivers side header is touching the trany. and the passangers is hitting the frame? that to me made no sense! tomorrow i will be going to the shop to see whats going on. anybody had issues like this???
Old 08-15-2009, 10:10 PM
jlugo_70
1st Gear Member

anybody???
Old 08-15-2009, 11:16 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Have not had that particular issue.

I did have a different fitment issue with Bassani headers. Header was bumping the steering column. The solution was to loosen all the header bolts. Then hold the midpipe end of the header the place where it needed to be. While holding this still with a helper or bungie cords, tighten the header bolts.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:12 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

well a new issue came up. they were able to take the bolts off without any problem but they are saying that the drivers side header is touching the trany. and the passangers is hitting the frame? that to me made no sense! tomorrow i will be going to the shop to see whats going on. anybody had issues like this???

This is why they recommend motor mounts...

Last edited by acarzt; 08-16-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Kinda weird if you ask me. I know people that have left the stock mounts in and been just fine. Seems like sometimes people have problems other times they don't. Steering shaft rub is another thing that comes up sometimes.

How can the same cars have different experiences like this? They should all be practically the same from the factory.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:53 AM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like bad flanges on the headers, too much angle and not enough on the other. Motor mounts will not help you with this issue, the motor mounts are recommended b/c the header hits the mount under acceleration and the steering shaft not the uni-body and trans....

Even if you shift your motor it will not help, as you explained the shop might have to cut and weld the LT's to get the correct clearance.

Good luck let us know how it turns out!
Old 08-16-2009, 12:19 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by acarzt
This is why they recommend motor mounts...
No, it isn't. Motor mounts have nothing to do with the fitment of LT headers. People put in motor mounts since the stockers often need to be removed anyway to get the LT's in.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:02 PM
jlugo_70
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GA05GT
Sounds like bad flanges on the headers, too much angle and not enough on the other. Motor mounts will not help you with this issue, the motor mounts are recommended b/c the header hits the mount under acceleration and the steering shaft not the uni-body and trans....

Even if you shift your motor it will not help, as you explained the shop might have to cut and weld the LT's to get the correct clearance.

Good luck let us know how it turns out!
that is what the shop manager told me! or that they could try to bend them to make them fit, but i dissagreed. ill try to see for myself next week with a friend. on a good note ill be getting the car back tommorow with the 4.10's in!!! cant wait to see how it feels

Quick Reply: additional things for long tubes install?