Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Corrosion Issue - Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default Hood Corrosion Issue - Update

I have a 2006 Mustang GT - Silver with only 8600 miles. I had the hood corrosion issue in March of last year - front lip of hood. I took it to the dealer and they repaired it. I am almost certain they did not use the process described in the TSB - looked like they just snaded - primed - painted. BTW - I contacted Ford and they told me they would not replace the hood because the dealer said it could be repaired.

Well, I noticed about 3 months ago that the corrosion had returned under the front part of the hood (not visible from the outside). I took it to the same dealer last week (had to according to Ford). They told me they would repair it. I again contacted Ford and they told me it was up to the dealer to repair or replace. Again, I can't ensure they are repairing according to TSB specs as I was told I could not enter the work area. This is a Ford Authorized Collision Center in Miami Florida.

I dropped it off this morning. My concern is that it seems that the dealer has control and I cannot appeal according to Ford. My warranty is up next month and I am wondering what I will do if it happens again. BTW - I told the Ford rep this and they said "we cant deal with hypothetical situations"

Any comments, help or advice? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:26 PM
zt'sgt

I had the hood corrosion problem on my 06 GT. It was repaired in June 2008. This spring I noticed a couple of small spots where the paint was again bubbling under the lip of the hood. Although my factory warranty expired in March 2009, the repair was still covered under the 12 month 12,000 mile repair warranty and was repaired June 2009 for free no questions asked. Just keep a close eye on it for the next 12 months.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

zt - That is interesting - Is ths 12/12 warranty for body repair (like the hood corrosion repair)? Is this standard from Ford?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by zt'sgt
I had the hood corrosion problem on my 06 GT. It was repaired in June 2008. This spring I noticed a couple of small spots where the paint was again bubbling under the lip of the hood. Although my factory warranty expired in March 2009, the repair was still covered under the 12 month 12,000 mile repair warranty and was repaired June 2009 for free no questions asked. Just keep a close eye on it for the next 12 months.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:35 PM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

i just put touch up paint on it...whys it do that anyways?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

If it's bubbling, it's because the aluminum the hood is made of was contaminated by ferrous materials (most likely during handling/installation/finishing). The iron and aluminum then react causing corrosion, which causes the paint to bubble.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

where can I find a copy of this TSB?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

When did they stop using aluminum hoods? Or are all of them aluminum hoods?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

All the 05+ Mustangs use aluminum hoods (and I'm fairly certain roofs and trunks) to keep weight down.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:41 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

The TSB # is TSB 06-25-15. I found it on this forum over a year ago - someone was kind enough to provide it. I printed it but can't locate it now.

FYI - I went by the dealer body shop this afternoon and they said they found other areas of corrosion and fixed them. I am sure they did not use the TSB recommended procedure because the hood was off and just baking in the Florida sun - WHICH CAN BE CLOSE TO 140% AS RECOMMENDED : )

Anyway - I know talking to the Body Shop manager here or making a scene will get me nowhere - especially since this is where I must service my car due to location. The "technician" that did the work said it would likely come back!!!

Can I go higher in the Ford management chain? If so, what would be my next step?

My complaint (sorry for venting...) is that I paid $32K for this car with only 8600 miles on it and I am afraid to stripe it, etc. because of this issue. I am at a loss because I know Ford Customer (dis)Service will just call the dealer and back them up.

I blame Ford because they know about the problem but apparently leave it up to the body shop manager to decide to fix or replace. That is why I am interested in the post about the 12/12 warranty...

Thanks to all and please let me know your comments and advice.

Last edited by rogan01; 07-27-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:38 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Any other comments or advice please? Thank you.

Quick Reply: Hood Corrosion Issue - Update