Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Nav System DVD Player!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:38 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Some fatherly advice....

In MA, a 2 year old cannot be in the front seat, must be in a car seat properly strapped to the harness hooks in rear.

Hook a DVD player over the back of the front passenger seat for the same $$$ and keep your family SAFE!!!!

May I suggest that anyone on this forum that aids in this type of meddling in safety equipment might also be legally liable?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
def67
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTjoe49
Some fatherly advice....

In MA, a 2 year old cannot be in the front seat, must be in a car seat properly strapped to the harness hooks in rear.

Hook a DVD player over the back of the front passenger seat for the same $$$ and keep your family SAFE!!!!

May I suggest that anyone on this forum that aids in this type of meddling in safety equipment might also be legally liable?
Agreed, for christmas I bought my brother a portable DVD player and carry case/ over the seat holder for 150 canadian $, for his new little one.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:52 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

I really hate to go white knight here when my post count is so low, but nobody has really summed up the things that are wrong with this thread.

1) You want to put a "2 year old" in the front seat... ostensibly without proper restraint? You are either lying or the worst parent of all time (or Brittney Spears).

2) You want to disable the interlock so you can pander to his toddler demands (or just shut him up)? You are weak, and will raise a completely out-of-control child if you don't start setting boundaries now.

3) There is a reason they don't let you play DVDs while moving; it distracts the hell out of you and makes you a kamikaze pilot in a Mustang. Hacking the SYNC system for the express purpose of distracting yourself is kinda dumb when you're by yourself. Doing so with a helpless child in the car is criminal neglect.

4) If you really want to cater to your child's every whim, $269 will buy you a fairly decent 7" DVD player that attaches to the back of your headrest (or the passenger seat's headrest, whatever) and will allow your child to watch Spongebob Squarepants to his heart's delight while safely ensconced in a child seat in the back seat where they were meant to be.

Sorry if I came off like a dick, but dude... think about what you're doing here. Seriously.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I will be installing a lock pick on my Mustang this month.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:36 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Again..as others have stated, a lock pick to be able to have a passenger input nav changes and such are one thing...but to do it to have a child watch movies is not a safe act. Get the over the seat DVD player. Since the Mustang only has 2 seat rear capacity it's not like the child could see the screen from the back seat..... I am assuming that is where a 2 year old would be........
Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 AM
icody
1st Gear Member

Notice I have not posted anymore about this lock-pick thing. This has generated a lot of strong posts. Most have expressed their opinions without attacking...however...
Hawkeye18..Yes. you do sound like a dick.
Where in anyone of my Posts does it say I will be putting my son in the FRONT SEAT and not in the Back seat? I decided to PONDER to my SON's Demands by buying an over the back seat portable DVD player. I guess I am a Bad parent and my son will probably grow up to be a little monster without any boundaries in his life. I wonder if most every auto manufacturer has taken into account that they are aiding the PONDERING of kids by their parents, as they offer the back seat DVD players to PONDER to Kids!! Yes I want to give my kid his every whim, That is exactly how much I love him.....
You know nothing about me or my life....While I appreciate your concern ...I also would appreciate your attacking comments be kept to yourself.

To bring everyone up to date and to hopefully put this post to rest (at least my part in this post), I bought a portable DVD system that he can watch by himself in the back seat. Thanks for most everyones comments.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 AM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by icody
FordEngineer - I knew you could not tell me how to do it so thats why I never emailed you to ask. As far as distraction from the drivers seat...What about the dialing using the phone and the Display from the Sync, or Sat Radio where you can read the Song name and artist. or the Nav Display (Yes it gives sound but also a picture of the turns!!).
When determining what features to allow while the vehicle is in motion, we take a conservative approach to the SAE J2364 Recommended Practice. If a task takes more than a certain number of button-presses (from a 'home' screen) to complete it, or more than a certain number of one-second glances away from the roadway (we have special 'occlusion goggles' to simulate one-second glances with regular drivers when doing our testing), we do not allow that function to be enabled while the vehicle is in motion. Clearly, the task of 'watching a DVD' would entail more than the alloted number of one-second glances with the average driver (who would only want to see 10-15 seconds of a movie?), thus it is disabled.

Ford takes distracted driving very seriously. I applaud your decision to not override the distraction control settings on your navigation unit. Thank you.

Originally Posted by icody
I wonder if most every auto manufacturer has taken into account that they are aiding the PONDERING of kids by their parents, as they offer the back seat DVD players to PONDER to Kids!! Yes I want to give my kid his every whim, That is exactly how much I love him.....
Ford Motor Company: Aiding the 'pondering' of kids, parents, and others who love sweet in-vehicle technology since 1903.

Last edited by FordEngineer; 02-20-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Too early to spell correctly.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:50 PM
icody
1st Gear Member

Thank you Ford Engineer...wish I could say it was based on your findings..I based it solely on cost. Anyways...to each his own. I thank you for your input on this Forum...your knowledge and insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM
jklimczak

I cant wait to do this... I been stuck a few times and to have to pull over to change my destination kills me..... all so to be in a 1mpa traffic jam would love to be able to swich on a move rather then music would be cool to do....

I know its not safe so don't kill me

Any one know if it will play AVI Files
Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 AM
RMS10
1st Gear Member

Anyone installed the LockPick yet? I am considering this. I think being able to change the destination or looking for POI while driving, my wife will do this and letting my son view the lastest sports scores are worth it.

Quick Reply: 2010 Nav System DVD Player!!