Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Steering Wheel Shake

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:33 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Dealer I bought from replaced all 4 tires yesterday and issue solved. The pirelli tires were flat spotted so they say from sitting on their lot for 7 months. I have my doubts to that as I don't recall the car driving this way until about a week after I purchased it so I'm thinking a bad belt somewhere. If these tires start to behave the same way then obviously it is an issue with pirelli and they will need to get involved and man up to their defective crap tires. Right now though she runs as smooth as butter. The dealer I bought from is awesome though. They have been nothing but cooperative. The dealer closest to my house was anything but.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:24 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Shaky did you get your issue resolved?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:45 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

had same issue with my 2007 caddy, bought in '08 sat around was almost undrivable, had to almost demand they replace tires, said was not covered under warranty, that's when I said i need to call GM and then they stepped up, that's why I'll never buy another GM, Ford I feel is not anything like everyone has stereo typed "found on road dead", this is my first ford since 80 and this 2010 is so solid and has so many more things than my caddy, including better MPG, and the caddy has a six in it.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 AM
oldshakey

Default Fork In The Road

I swapped my 19" factory wheels with 18X18.5 Ford Racing Wheels using identical Michelins. Much to my chagrin, I still have a 62MPH shiver. After an extensive conversation with the best man I know in the car business, I started the BBB process yesterday. Why Ford will not step up and address the issue is way beyond me. I'll do my best to keep everyone up to date with my travails. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 AM
tenwatt

Personally I don't think it's the tires or rims causing the vibration. I have aftermarket tires and wheels on my '10 GT and I get it also. However I recently had the car lowered via Ford Racing Springs and have noticed the vibration has reduced a lot. it's really to point now where it's not even noticeable.

I'm having the oem 18" wheels put on this week and will update what effect that has on the amount of vibration.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:28 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

The aftermarket wheels and new tires i just installed got rid of what little shimmy i had...I have 0 shimmy at all speeds, so its not the front end, its the stock wheels and tires....

Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverGT02
I was at the ford dealer having some work done on my 02, I heard the service advisor talking to a guy about the same issue. Service advisor said it was the tires and that the Pirelli's that they put on it at the factory have vibration issues.
Sounded like a Pirelli issue.
My 07 235/55/17 Pirelli's shook like that.
Replaced the front tires and I'm running the Pirelli's on the back.
Flat spots on the Pirelli's. No help from Pirelli or dealer....
Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

My issue is mostly solved by the new tires but I do get a lot of road noise from the rear of the car at 65-70mph. It's not really a vibration as much as it is a womp womp sound. I chalk a lot of that up to the fact that it is a vert so road noise will always be an issue but it still seems to me that there is an issue with the right rear tire at 70mph and higher. I was even pondering the idea of buying the 17" OEM wheels and tires and selling these on craigslist because I want a smoother ride and the performance tires and wheels are just too sensitive to the road. Shakey's experience really concerns me though as he still gets it after replacing all 4 wheels and tires, and he isn't even using the pirelli p zero nero tires. Shakey you really ought to be bypassing the BBB and talking directly with a lemon law lawyer by now. The BBB isn't going to do anything for you except contact the dealer and they will just tell the BBB what they already told you. Getting a lawyer consultation wouldn't cost you much and you would have a much better idea of where you stand. Throw in your safety concerns with the vehicle and a call from the lawyer to Ford and the dealer may get them to start to be more reasonable to your concerns. It's a shame that your dealer has treated you like that because mine was very helpful, at least the one I bought the car from. I just filled out my customer purchase survey and gave the dealer excellent marks but wrote a lengthy remark in the comment section about this issue. Basically at this point I am tired of taking it to the dealer to have the problem fixed and for now it's good enough.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 AM
oldshakey

Default Baby Step

Via BBB, Ford is arranging a Field Service Engineer visit. Maybe Santa has something in his sleigh.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Hoofprint
2nd Gear Member

Let me know what the FSE says. I had one come out and take a look at mine and he said the "nibble" was within ford specs and a "nibble" such as this may occur with the tire, wheel and suspension set up on these vehicles...I call BS but that is what they told me.

Quick Reply: 2010 Steering Wheel Shake