Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 GT Vert Vandalized

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:58 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by o0xerog0o
The general rule of thumb is to keep your insurance co. up-to-date with your mods, or else they may not cover them in the even of an accident. When I had my 94 S-10 minitruck, it had a '00 Sonoma front clip on it, and the deadbeat, *******, welfare collecting, no working, no insurance having sons-o-bitches across the street from the shop let their 5 year old child play in the parked car up the hill from me. The kid knocked it out of gear, and it coasted downhill into the front end of my truck. It was a loooong process dealing with Allstate (my insurance co. then, so glad I dropped them) in order to get my front end fixed since they didn't have it in their file that the front end was modified...

In a nutshell, yes, tell your insurance co.
That would be right...
Some ins. co. might raise the premiums though, if the price difference in added parts is too great.

I'm a body shop owner and I keep telling my customers to update their policy with pictures of the car.
For example, if you run OEM hid lights on a car that didn't come with that option, you will definitely have problems if the event of a crash if your carrier wasn't notified of this.
The price difference is huge: non HIDs=$170 each
OEM HIDs=$950 each
Old 08-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Really sorry to hear about your damage. I hope somehow they catch the A hole. Glad GEICO took care of you, I say this as a fellow 'vert owner.
I, myself, would never do business with GEICO. Years ago I read that GEICO donates radar (and I assume LASER) guns to police depts. around the country. There can only be one reason for this, more tickets, higher premiums.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:44 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the car but thank god you're insurance is choosing to cooperate and not give you a bigger problem than you already have.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:01 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
Gieco will drop you.
I made the argument that you can buy the Roush Stage 3 F-150 with a Supercharger installed. Which is the exact setup my truck ended up with.

They countered with what I put below.
Insurance Companies are legally required to cover the vehicle for 1 month to allow you to get another Insurance Carrier. For me, they extended the deadline 2 months to coincide with my 6 month renewal.

The 1 month part is to make sure that drivers have covereage on their vehicle reguardless of what the Insurance Company says they cover. It is the discretion of the Ins Company (GIECO) to further nenew the contract with you.
and Geico won't
That blows, I plan on going the SC route. They did ask me when i bought the car if it had any aftermarket mods. I assumed it was so they could adjust the premiums but maybe it was actually so they could cover or not cover.

i'm curious if the age and driving record of the driver comes into play with the turbo or SC vehicles or if they just deny everything. I assume that means no GT500's on Geico?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:31 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I've had one major and one minor claim of vandalism to two separate vehicles while insured with State Farm. They covered each completely without any hesitation and a comprehensive $100 deductible per occurrence.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

There are things you can do to discourage vandalism, but you can't prevent it.

Our mayor's official city vehicle was keyed while it was parked near his home. There were two cops sitting in it at the time.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:17 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Some Insurance adjusters can be real ********...
I swear they must have quotas that rewards appraisers that saves Ins. Co. the most bucks.
Doesn't matter if it's by screwing policy holders...
When it's the case, you have to go the supervisor route, don't wait.

My experience in FL, have been real good when my customers played hard ball with insurance looters...
Small claims works well because Ins. Co., in the end, will waste more money after court then if they'd honored the customer in the first place. Even if they win the case, they're out of more that it was required to put the car together right, most of the time.
And they know it, but also know, that you don't know it and that's their advantage more often than not.

They really capitalize in intimidation and regular folk's ignorance or laziness.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
I've had one major and one minor claim of vandalism to two separate vehicles while insured with State Farm. They covered each completely without any hesitation and a comprehensive $100 deductible per occurrence.

Good luck.
Same here. Had an accident in my truck a few years ago, and they made it as convenient as possible. The rental car coverage more than covered my deductible. I came away a few hundred bucks in the black on the whole deal. I now pay 800 bucks a year for a 'vert Pony Package with mods. (lots of discounts to get that rate. I have multiple policies with them, customer loyalty, and good driver discounts.) If you have multiple policies, and you don't drive like a dick, they're worth a look.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i'm curious if the age and driving record of the driver comes into play with the turbo or SC vehicles or if they just deny everything. I assume that means no GT500's on Geico?
I personally am 27, married with 3 kids. Multi car discount. No wrecks in past 10 yrs. No tickets ever. E-6 in Military

Geico dropped me back in May just before I had been with them for 6 years. I checked out every single major Insurance company out there. Geico is the only one with a Blower clause that I could find.

btw, yes. They won't even cover a GT500. I was being a smartass and said I'd sell my F-150 and then buy a Roush F-150. Lady said fine, they'd cover me for a month, but my policy would still be canceled. The blower is a deal killer
Old 08-15-2009, 04:40 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

This is complete news to me. I never even considered the thought of the insurance agency not covering a gt500 because of the supercharger on it. Good information to know.

Quick Reply: 2005 GT Vert Vandalized