Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 EcoBoost Confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:07 AM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

There's nothing 'eco' about the 'boost.' When you really eke out the referenced HP ratings, the economy drops to something the same or worse than the non-boosted counterpart.

Boosting has gone from a quick power fix to a trick to fool EPA numbers on a treadmill.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:36 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NickelDime
There's nothing 'eco' about the 'boost.' When you really eke out the referenced HP ratings, the economy drops to something the same or worse than the non-boosted counterpart.

Boosting has gone from a quick power fix to a trick to fool EPA numbers on a treadmill.
ECO is not about the MPG but the better cleaner burn. It is direct injection with a much better controlled fuel management with the o2 sensors now being wide-band instead of narrow-band. It is old tech that Ford/Mazda is bring back with alot of improvements.

But comparable driving the ECO boost will get better MPG then a V8 with everything being the same except the engines.
So it is just there way to make more power with less gas in a better, cleaner way.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BL00DSH0T
But comparable driving the ECO boost will get better MPG then a V8 with everything being the same except the engines.
So it is just there way to make more power with less gas in a better, cleaner way.
BL00DSH0T - I'm calling BS. The reviews I have read where they actually drive the car for a good period of time (not just regurgitate the EPA numbers) say the mileage on the EcoBoost Taurus is the 18-19mpg range. How in the world is that efficient? Here are the MT stats. I'm getting 19-21 on my GT, and I'm not shy with the go pedal.

The efficiency numbers don't surprise me a bit - I had an Audi A4 2.0T that got 17-18mpg. A 4 cylinder engine - can you believe? People are reporting the same experience with the Acura RDX and Mazda CX-7. These are boosted 4 cylinders getting the same or worse mileage as their V6 counterparts (the Murano, for example, gets better mileage than either and is heavier). In the case of these cars, they downsized the motors and boosted them to get the EPA numbers of a small engine but the HP ratings of something bigger. But when you actually drive the HP that you buy, the mileage experience is abysmal. In fact, it can be worse than getting a larger displacement engine (true with the A4 2.0T vs. 3.2, true with the RDX/CX-7 vs. the Murano).

Now, on my A4 if I 'hypermiled' I could get the quoted 21-22mpg, but that would mean never spooling the turbo.

Isn't that kindof the point?

My bottom line is this: Boosting an existing platform is no question a benefit. Using a turbo in lieu of a larger engine -- not so much. I'm honestly interested if you have seen a review that proves the advantage. IMO a small block V8 in the Taurus would give the same or better 'real world' mileage as the EcoBoost with better performance. It would just be a marketing problem -- people associate V8 with gas guzzler. "EcoBoost" sounds so futuristic and green.

Perhaps it's a 'cleaner burn', but in my experience, this remains a trick to achieve better marketing.

Last edited by NickelDime; 09-08-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

BL00DSH0T - I'm calling BS. The reviews I have read where they actually drive the car for a good period of time (not just regurgitate the EPA numbers) say the mileage on the EcoBoost Taurus is the 18-19mpg range. How in the world is that efficient? Here are the MT stats. I'm getting 19-21 on my GT, and I'm not shy with the go pedal.

The efficiency numbers don't surprise me a bit - I had an Audi A4 2.0T that got 17-18mpg. A 4 cylinder engine - can you believe? People are reporting the same experience with the Acura RDX and Mazda CX-7. These are boosted 4 cylinders getting the same or worse mileage as their V6 counterparts (the Murano, for example, gets better mileage than either and is heavier). In the case of these cars, they downsized the motors and boosted them to get the EPA numbers of a small engine but the HP ratings of something bigger. But when you actually drive the HP that you buy, the mileage experience is abysmal. In fact, it can be worse than getting a larger displacement engine (true with the A4 2.0T vs. 3.2, true with the RDX/CX-7 vs. the Murano).

Now, on my A4 if I 'hypermiled' I could get the quoted 21-22mpg, but that would mean never spooling the turbo.

Isn't that kindof the point?

My bottom line is this: Boosting an existing platform is no question a benefit. Using a turbo in lieu of a larger engine -- not so much. I'm honestly interested if you have seen a review that proves the advantage. IMO a small block V8 in the Taurus would give the same or better 'real world' mileage as the EcoBoost with better performance. It would just be a marketing problem -- people associate V8 with gas guzzler. "EcoBoost" sounds so futuristic and green.

Perhaps it's a 'cleaner burn', but in my experience, this remains a trick to achieve better marketing.
If you look at the base model and the SHO you will see that there is a benefit. How can you miss that there is a 100hp and 100tq gain over the base with a minimal decrease in MPG. I find that to be impressive.

I must have missed it but I don't remember when Ford offered a V8 with HP/TQ numbers that matched the SHO and got better MPG.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

If you look at the base model and the SHO you will see that there is a benefit. How can you miss that there is a 100hp and 100tq gain over the base with a minimal decrease in MPG. I find that to be impressive.

I must have missed it but I don't remember when Ford offered a V8 with HP/TQ numbers that matched the SHO and got better MPG.
Re-read my post. It's marketing. I haven't seen a review yet that is able to achieve the EPA mpg. Everything I've read is in the 18-19mpg range.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Re-read my post. It's marketing. I haven't seen a review yet that is able to achieve the EPA mpg. Everything I've read is in the 18-19mpg range.
I think you are the one having issues reading or just not understand. What marketing conspiracy are you talking about? On Fords Website they list the MPG at 17/25 for the SHO.

Here is something for you to read from the article you linked:

"The SHO is rated at 17/25 mpg, and a week's worth of our lead-footing yielded 18.9" Quoted straight from the article. I would say a weeks worth of lead-footing and getting almost 19mpg is very good when the sticks says 17/25!

And the article ever states the SHO's fuel economy greatly outpaces that of all those V-8s.

So are you saying with normal driving which the EPA MPG is averaged from is wrong because you read 18.9mpg and took it out of context.

DI allows the AFR to be lean (14.7afr) through most of the power band. It will probably run as lean as our GT's and be much safer and cleaner doing it. That is one of the benefits of DI (Direct Injection).
Old 09-08-2009, 09:44 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

Again, I'm averaging closer to 20 with lead footed driving. I've owned 2 DI turbo cars ( 2 A4s - one sedan and one cabrio ) and the mileage was worse than my V8.

From Car & Driver online: “Sure, this twin-turbo V-6 is impressively responsive and whips up a meaty shove. But there’s simply nothing “eco” about endowing a two-ton Taurus with V-8 Mustang performance. We averaged 16 mpg.”

Jalopnik's review posts a 17mpg rating.

So MT says a hair below 19. C&D says 16. Jalopnik says 17. Can we at least agree that were talking City EPA numbers?

If you've owned a DI turbo vehicle, I'm dying to hear YOUR experience. I'm simply saying it doesn't live up to the hype, that's all.

Last edited by NickelDime; 09-08-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Again, I'm averaging closer to 20 with lead footed driving. I owned 2 DI turbo cars ( 2 A4s - one sedan and one cabrio ) and the mileage was worse than my V8.

Again that means nothing too me as you are calling BS on me when the article you posted pretty much says the exactly what I did.
Our GT's don't make as much power and you are saying you get close to the same mpg, even that is not making a strong argument for you.

I drive all my cars the same and I'm about 19mpg on the GT. And funny but I had two DI turbo vehicles too.
I was 24mpg on my 08 MazdaSpeed3 and around 22mpg in my CX-7.

ECO doesn't mean Hybrid...hopefully that will clear it up for you.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

Again that means nothing too me as you are calling BS on me when the article you posted pretty much says the exactly what I did.
Our GT's don't make as much power and you are saying you get close to the same mpg, even that is not making a strong argument for you.

I drive all my cars the same and I'm about 19mpg on the GT. And funny but I had two DI turbo vehicles too.
I was 24mpg on my 08 MazdaSpeed3 and around 22mpg in my CX-7.

ECO doesn't mean Hybrid...hopefully that will clear it up for you.
Your CX-7 numbers are frankly the first I've ever seen that high, so hats off to you for driving so frugally. Our GTs certainly don't make as much power, but they are a bit faster due to the weight.

Again, I have just seen figures all over the map on the MPG ratings (and experienced the same). Boosting just isn't the silver bullet it's often portrayed to be, that's all.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:23 PM
bgmikejr2009

To all:

My mom works at the Truck Plant in Detroit and I just got a text and she states to me that the V6 Ecoboost motor and the 5.0 Liter V8 will be options for the 2011 Mustang. This means depending on what package you buy will depict what motor you get. Since I just got this info like 5 minutes ago this means I will be saving up for a new 5.0 for sure Hope this clears up the post but she also told me this is subject to change but as of right now per research and development Ford want's to make the two motors options for the 2011 model year.

Take care all

Quick Reply: 2011 EcoBoost Confirmed