Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005-2006 Ford Mustang S197 Partial History article

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Mustangforums Editors

Default 2005-2006 Ford Mustang S197 Partial History article

Hey guys,

Where does the S197 rank amongst Mustangs? Best ever? Second best? Overrated? It was a huge hit right off the bat, but did the public begin to tire of it? How do you view the 2010 styling cues?

What should come next? We pretty much know the 5.0 is returning, perhaps one day a powerful Ecoboost, maybe direct injection. What else in terms of the exterior, interior, and engine?

If you missed the article, you can find it here: https://mustangforums.com/articles/2...rformance.html

If you want a lot more on the S197, click here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/tags/s197.html

Thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 PM
0740mustang

Definitley brought new life to the Mustang nameplate. I felt it was starting to stagnate a bit. Definitley the best looking mustangs since the 60's. The 2010's are even better.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Burningtimes72

Default What happened to the rear end?

When i saw the 2010 from the rear end on the road, I almost spit. Gone was that boxy retro muscle car look and instead is a retooled designer look. looks more like a custom job w/ the tail lights all angular . One of the big appealing features for me to buy my stang was the muscle looking rear end set off by the chrome pony emblem.
Now the the front end of the 2010 is evil and i love the continuation of developing the shark mouth look that began to take off w/ the 2007s. I guess you can't have everything...
Old 08-30-2009, 08:33 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Just me.

I dont really care for the 2010 Mustangs.

Us retro guys had 5 years to take advantage of Fords look back to the past.

I really dont think the 2010's will ever sell as well as the 05's - 09's.

I think in a couple of years I'll put the 05' up and buy a used 09 Camaro for a daily driver. Should be able to get one pretty cheap.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:10 PM
rexrcr

Default 2010 GT w/3/73 axle pkg

I now have over 4000 miles on my 2010 GT w/3.73 axle; over 100 miles have been accumulated at Road America and Autobahn Country Club total giving hot-lap rides (I'm a race engineer by trade, driver, suspension designer and now owner of Hooked On Driving - Great Lakes region).

This is the first domestic I've owned since 1985. I love it.

I could tell in five minutes of driving that the structure is very stiff; it has a characteristic "patter" of damped suspension sound/ vibration that one experiences in higher end Euro brands that's due to stiff chassis, great sound damping and high quality application of suspension bushings.

The balance on-track with the base GT suspension (and 18" Pirelli PZero Nero) is as neutral as one would want on the street; this car POINTS NOW... little understeer, very safe and satisfying though too much body roll. (I run 36 psi cold and it's perfect on the street and track).

First year for stability control and one can turn it off completely unlike Chrysler, BMW, M-B.... (and you need to on-track if you're an experienced track driver or the rear pads are smoke in 20 minutes due to trying to "cure" your spirited driving).

No one can knock the stick axle; it's a three link and works wonderfully well. Ford's learned a lot with their racing programs and this car benefits.

Even in base trim the interior is hot but the seat is not very good... A BMW sport seat in this car and I'd buy 20 new GT's to last the remainder of my lifetime.

I agree with above posts regarding front styling... hot hot stuff. The back end is unique, love the LED's and sequential and the rest of the rear lines are growing on me in a good way.

my $0.02

Best,
Rob

Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I still am in love with my modified 06 premium package Mustang GT.

I wish people would stop talking as if the 2010 Mustang is a new car. It isn't. Any improvements in performance for the 2010 (Ford finally offering what the aftermarket has had since 05")) can simply be added to any existing 05' model car, and the after market has been producing fantastic upgrades all along since 05".

I'm glad the new model clearly defines Mustang owners now. People who prefer the muscle car feeling, like me, like the interior and exterior of the 05' model much more, and people who like modulated gadgetry, prefer the 2010 model.

Thank god the Roush 427R solved all the ugliness problems with the 2010 car, by making a "Design correction" on the front fascia and chin splitter, the rear spoiler, and correcting the lower rear "plastic diaper" problem by producing a good lower rear fascia/diffuser design. Fantastic work Mr. Jack

Now people can call Roush ASAP, and have those body issues solved immediately. Roush could not overcome the Toyota center square vents in the middle of the dash from the 1980's unfortunetly, that replaced the wonderful round themed center vents in the 05". Erik
Old 09-01-2009, 05:36 AM
06LgndLimeGT

The main reason I bought my 2006 was because of the blunt nose and tail. It screams "muscle". I can't say I don't like the 2010's but I'm not sure of what I see as a "sports" car look. The nose isn't bad. The tail end is still hard for me to get my arms around. Not sure why ford thought they needed to angle it like they did. If I was going to buy another one I have to say it would be a 2005-2009 model.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 AM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

Being a Lifelong GM guy(48 years) I never really cared for the Mustang.. Untill the S197 came out. Now after one test drive in my father in laws 06 GT I was hooked.. Sold my 11 sec Grand National and bought an 07 Conv GT and LOVE it.. Really LOVE it. Don't think the 10's-on will match the 05-09's..
Old 09-01-2009, 05:15 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Between my Pop and myself, we owned 17 Mustangs (at the same time!) in the early 80s. Most were donors, but it was still a hoot.

I fell in love with the S197 when they came out. First time since the 60s models.

Just this year I no longer needed a 4 door, and scored the 06 GT. It's 20 times the car of any of the vintage Stangs we owned. From handling, drivability and power.

I just can't get "that feeling" with the 2010s. I want to like them, but I can't. The rear end just ruins it for me.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Sounds like the biggest problem facing the 10's is its rear end. I don't like it either. LOVE the front end - they look incredibly wicked, but they lose my interest on the backside. Why can't Ford quit jacking with a good thing?

Quick Reply: 2005-2006 Ford Mustang S197 Partial History article