Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

Default Hooking up aftermarket amp/subs

I have read a lot about how to go about adding subs to the existing shaker 500 unit but I have heard mixed thoughts on using a line out converter. For one I have heard that it works perfect and some say they get a very weak bass sound... Also I have heard of different locations to pull it off of like the rear deck speakers or that you will get a cleaner signal off the door subs. Also I dont want an aftermarket HU & what is a good line out converter? Can someone please help me out! Thanks

Also if you were wondering what I'll be running...
2 Rockford Fosgate Punch 4 ohm 12" subs P3D412
& 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate amp @ 1 ohm P1000-1bd

Link to a good sub installation guide I found too
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
wicked stang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT Coupe

I fyou have the shaker 500 already then just use the line out that goes to the stock amp. You will have to figure out what wires to tap from the smaller connector with a wire diagram. You can tap in a small piece of wire to the right wires and connect a rca plug to them that you can get at circuit city.

C&L Racer CAI w/ VMP Custom Tune - Pypes Mid Muffler System w/ Offroad X Pipe - 303 RWHP 321 RWTQ

H&R Race Springs - Tokico D-Specs - Steeda Strut Mounts - Granatelli Camber Plates - Steeda Panhard Bar w/ HD Brace - Steeda Upper Control Arm w/ HD Mount - BMR Lower Control Arms

Pioneer Avic N3 Flipout - Red Interior LED Swap - Painted Interior Trim Pieces by Atomic Autosports
wicked stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
wicked stang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT Coupe

oh btw. you wont need a line converter if you do it this way.

C&L Racer CAI w/ VMP Custom Tune - Pypes Mid Muffler System w/ Offroad X Pipe - 303 RWHP 321 RWTQ

H&R Race Springs - Tokico D-Specs - Steeda Strut Mounts - Granatelli Camber Plates - Steeda Panhard Bar w/ HD Brace - Steeda Upper Control Arm w/ HD Mount - BMR Lower Control Arms

Pioneer Avic N3 Flipout - Red Interior LED Swap - Painted Interior Trim Pieces by Atomic Autosports
wicked stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011, Ford, Mustang

line out converter off of the rear speakers would work just fine. just know that if you fade all to front, you will lose your bass.

Gone->11 Red Candy Metallic Mustang GT/CS Auto 13.284 @ 107.44 (DA Corrected 12.809 @ 111.502)
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package

Use the JL CleanSweep ForTheWin hands down. Period. The best.
Wont be disappointed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked stang View Post
I fyou have the shaker 500 already then just use the line out that goes to the stock amp. You will have to figure out what wires to tap from the smaller connector with a wiring diagram. You can tap in a small piece of wire to the right wires and connect a rca plug to them that you can get at circuit city.
Yea, what he said.
Now what about the 5V turn on voltage of the shi**er 500 and aftermarket sub amps needing 12V turn on lead voltage. Got a fix for that one no one has covered. "
Its so simple".
No its not. Its called a Shi**er 500 for a reason.
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!

Last edited by 157dB; 08-20-2009 at 11:10 AM.
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 157db View Post
Use the JL CleanSweep ForTheWin hands down. Period. The best.
Wont be disappointed at all.

Yea, what he said.
Now what about the 5V turn on voltage of the shi**er 500 and aftermarket sub amps needing 12V turn on lead voltage. Got a fix for that one no one has covered. "
Its so simple".
No its not. Its called a Shi**er 500 for a reason.
Okay then what do I do about the 12V lead and can i use one of the cleansweep products only for subwoofers? I dont want to spend a ton of extra money and replace all my speakers right now so how do I go about just adding the subs and still get good bass response
Old 08-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
javina80
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT

for the 5v fix, find a switched 12v signal somehwere on your fusebox and run that to the remotes on the amps.... easiest solution i have used.... I have never really been a fan of line converters, nor do i think the outputs on the shaker 500 units actually seperate to true frequency range to run a sub properly.... too "BOOMY" is that makes any sense to you guys.... I know havin the multi cd deal is cool.... but that unit sucks.... I would stack up some bread and get a decent head unit and go from there.....
C&L C.A.I - Flowmasters - DAVR Lowering Springs - Centric Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors All Around - Color Matched Valve Covers - 8" Shelby Stripes - GT/CS Front Bumper - H13/H10 10,000K H.I.D Kits - Pioneer Head Unit - Infinity Reference Speakers on Deck/Doors - MTX X500D Mono amp for JL Audio 12w3v2 Sub
javina80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

okay so if I decided to get a new headunit how would I connect the existing speakers then?? its not even a normal 4 speaker + subs setup since it has the door subs and everything...
Old 08-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenatural View Post
okay so if I decided to get a new headunit how would I connect the existing speakers then?? its not even a normal 4 speaker + subs setup since it has the door subs and everything...
Use a TO220 LM7805 voltage regulator to go from the 12V turn on voltage of
aftermarket head units to the 5V the shaker amps want as a turn on
voltage. There are adapters to get the low level needed to interface with
the shaker amps for the door subs. Been done many times before....
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!

Last edited by 157dB; 08-21-2009 at 11:31 AM.
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
javina80
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 157db View Post
Use a TO220 LM7805 voltage regulator to go from the 12V turn on voltage of
aftermarket head units to the 5V the shaker amps want as a turn on
voltage.
+1 on the regulator. As far as hooking up your speakers find a harness kit that goes to the car Metra part#70-5521, comes with the rca's to hook into the pre outs of the head unit.... easy to do. Get the install kit also Metra part#99-5812, its for a single din, double-din setup is part#95-5812. Hope this helps you out.
C&L C.A.I - Flowmasters - DAVR Lowering Springs - Centric Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors All Around - Color Matched Valve Covers - 8" Shelby Stripes - GT/CS Front Bumper - H13/H10 10,000K H.I.D Kits - Pioneer Head Unit - Infinity Reference Speakers on Deck/Doors - MTX X500D Mono amp for JL Audio 12w3v2 Sub
javina80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, 500, 705521, aftermarket, amps, area, converter, diagram, line, low, metra, mustang, part, shaker, wiring, york