Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst: Made in China??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 AM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm ...
I was looking at the box on mine and from what I can tell, it was made in Ohio in Jan '06 (I bought it in July '06).
Maybe when B&M took over they moved the manufacturing to China?
Grrrrrrr.
As for the rattling - check the two bolts that secure the stick; they're known to loosen over time.
Use some lock washers or gummed nuts and that should take care of the rattling.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info on the rattle everyone. To clarify, I retained the stock shifter head( I prefer it) and that is what rattles from the vibration of the unit through the stem. The unit itself below the stem is fine, and makes no noise at all.

Any advice on how to deaden the stock shifter head?? Thank you, Erik
Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 AM
alsGT

My rattle was awful and appeared to be the Hurst round shifter ****. I'd swear that was the source of the noise. I read a post that suggested lubricating the pivot point and didn't believe it, but tried anyway.
Rattle is gone. My shifter is as quiet as the stock shifter.
Cost $3.00 and ten minutes of time. You'll be suprised.
Al
Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 AM
bbacon05
1st Gear Member

I also had the Hurst at first and had that high rpm rattle too, and just a few weeks ago, switched over the MGW and couldn't be happy, no rattle at all and a great shifter, the install was a pain in the *** though, but well worth it, I should have gone with MGW to begin with
Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Dont even try and buy some ViceGrips as the are now made in China as well....
The USA made ones are like Gold on eBay right now....
Old 08-27-2009, 12:45 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I would bet that there are $^!+ loads of parts all through our Mustang, that Ford has contracted out to China for manufacturing. That goes for any domestic car companies.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

The raw materials used in other shifters, such as steel, probably comes from China anyway. Why does it matter?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:08 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

Just in case , I am taking chopstick lessons.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Why doesn't everyone buy MGW? Well maybe we don't want to.
I wanted the Hurst, I like the looks and the feel too. Nuff said my choice.
Its called a free market and that is why we have more than 1 choice and why Hurst is now made in china...free market.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:12 PM
fivespdcat

I'm pretty sure there are not many parts on the mustang or other domestic cars made in china... they would like to move to china for lower labor costs, but the capabilities of the labor are not usually up to par making it very difficult for chinese plants to pass quality standards of any auto manufacturer. While some electronics are made on automated lines in china (because hey the environment doesn't matter there!) most of the componenets are still sourced from NAFTA, the EU or Japan.

As for steel, it's not easy to buy foreign steel because of tarrifs and open market pricing. You have to prove that you can't buy the type of steel in the states or get slammed with a huge penalty from the government, plus because of free markets, steel from China is no cheaper than the same steel from the US unless it's processed but then you have to consider the penalty. China used to be a huge buyer of scrap steel from the US and recycle it into other things, but again most automakers have specs for virgin material vs. recycled material quantities.

Finally buying foreign is a lot different than buying in China where the environment is destroyed along with peoples lives. It's one thing to support your country it's a totally different one to support the destruction of the environment and poor labor conditions.

Quick Reply: Hurst: Made in China??