Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do with my old stangs cai+tune since i'm trying to sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:16 AM
The Khajit
Banned

Default what to do with my old stangs cai+tune since i'm trying to sell it?

i got a 2012 gt so trying to sell my 07 gt, it has a CAI and bama tune, however I don't have the stockk cai/airbox anymore.

so when i sell it do i need to give the buyer my bama tuner and be like "yeah so this has a cai and tune...so you might want to take these?" or should i order a stock airbox from ford, install it and return to stock computer?

i'm asking this becasue down the road if the car needs work, i don't want to cause complications for the new owner since it has an aftermarket cai and tune.

what shood i do? thanks
Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

The dealer will know regardless of the removal of the tune. I wouldn't worry about it
Old 10-20-2013, 09:43 AM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

The dealer will know, but they aren't going to check to see if you tuned it or not. And once you sell it, it's not your responsibility.

I would buy a stock air box on ebay or craigslist, return it to stock and sell the tuner. The tunes will do you no good. The dealer wont care if you have a CAI or stock air box.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:42 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jefit
also was wondering, does a bama tune affect/cause any computer problems? A while back i was reading on another forum someone did a obama tune and he starting getting the message "check charging system" which is a notorious problem with the early s197 which i believe is the alternator going bad (otherwise a ground)

I would like to squeeze out some extra HP, but not if its can affect my car's reliability considering its my DD
As long as you get a BAMA tune from AM, you will be ok.
But if you get an Obama tune you may have problems, with lack of power, but the MPG might go up.

Sorry I couldn't help it.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:06 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jefit
also was wondering, does a bama tune affect/cause any computer problems? A while back i was reading on another forum someone did a obama tune and he starting getting the message "check charging system" which is a notorious problem with the early s197 which i believe is the alternator going bad (otherwise a ground)

I would like to squeeze out some extra HP, but not if its can affect my car's reliability considering its my DD
The Obama tune will just keep telling you that you need insurance.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Congrats on your 2012 Mustang! Keep the tuner for your new Mustang!
Search your local Craigslist or local junk yard for a stock airbox. You could also check with local Mustang clubs. I am sure someone that upgraded to a CAI would be open to selling their stock airbox to you. Just a thought!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:52 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Khajit
i got a 2012 gt so trying to sell my 07 gt, it has a CAI and bama tune, however I don't have the stockk cai/airbox anymore.

so when i sell it do i need to give the buyer my bama tuner and be like "yeah so this has a cai and tune...so you might want to take these?" or should i order a stock airbox from ford, install it and return to stock computer?

i'm asking this becasue down the road if the car needs work, i don't want to cause complications for the new owner since it has an aftermarket cai and tune.

what shood i do? thanks
Congratulations on your new 2012 GT. Post up some pictures, we'd love to check it out!

If I were you, I would recommend tracking down a stock air box and returning your 2007 GT to stock before selling it. I say this because if you pull the tune off of your 2007 GT and return it to stock, you'll be able to use the tuner to tune your 2012 GT! All you'll need to do is get a new set of tunes from the Bama team.

Ford will most likely be able to see that your 2007 GT was tuned, if they really want to look into it. However, I don't think they'll give the new owner much trouble if he were to have an issue, since he did buy the car with those mods and it still had the factory warranty. Also, what are the odds the new owner is going to keep the car stock anyway!?

I hope this helps and remember this is just my opinion. Feel free to do whatever you think this is right! Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 AM
HRnB
Administrator

"If you get an Obama tune, you won't be faster nor slower than any other S197. Everyone will be equal, so it'll be a driver's race" ~HRnB 2013

edit: ha, that's awesome, I'm coining that quote for future generations.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:49 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Don't care if you're faster, sower or equal with that tune...
While you guys are figuring all this shizz out, Imma gonna drink me a case of beer Obama self!!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

The dealer does not give any extra value for mods, in fact in the minds of the dealer, mods decrease the value. Returning the car back to stock will have the greatest trade in value, for the car. You can reuse the CAI and tuner, if not sell it on ebay or craigslist, for what you are going to pay for a stock box the CAI and tuner will sell for more if you find you don't need it.