Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper light fell off my body kit, took my light harness with it too!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:55 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Unhappy Bumper light fell off my body kit, took my light harness with it too!

Hey guys I have a 3D Carbon boy racer body kit on my mustang. The way the kit is designed, the brackets that hold the front bumper light are held on by an Epoxy glue that they sent me with the body kit along with the brackets. I sanded down the area on the bumper where the epoxy would go to ensure the best adhesion, and I also let the bracket dry for about 18 hours on the bumper without putting any pressure on them or putting the front bumper light on the bracket.

After just a few weeks/months, the driver side bracket came off while I was driving down the road and luckily I heard the bumper light scrapping on the ground so I stopped and disconnected it. The bracket was gone but at least I still had the bumper light. I ended up getting the replacement bracket and this time I used my own epoxy instead of the supplied one from 3D carbon.

A few days ago, the passenger side bracket came off while I was driving, but this time I never noticed it or realized it. So, the passenger front bumper light came off and with it dragged part of my light harness. Not only am I screwed out of buying another set of bumper lights, but now I have to buy the wiring harness for the light. We have 2 lights on our front bumper light, the blinker bulb and the second bulb which comes on when you turn your running lights on. The blinker bulb harness is still on the car, but the harness to that second bulb is gone.

My question is, do I have to buy an entire light harness (headlight, foglight, blinker, 2nd bumper light) or can I just find it somewhere separately? The stealership wanted like $100 and they said they can only sell me the entire passenger light harness , can I find it elsewhere and not have to spend more $$ ? I already have to spend another $40-50 on the front bumper light and some more on bulbs, just trying to to spend close to $200 to fix that stupid light that came off.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:41 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Anyone? What is the best epoxy that will cement the bracket in?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

$100 is a steal for an OEM harness.
Jump all over that one asap.
No epoxy sticks to bumper plastic.
It is loaded with oils that prevent it...
Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Well if epoxy wont stick to the polyurethane, what will? I can’t drill holes because they would poke out of the other side, but I definitely cannot have this happen again. Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Make brackets attached to the re-bar or any other body structure near by, that would hold said lights against the bumper?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:55 PM
whitegt500

as far the wiring, ford parts department sell pigtails which are the plug heads that u can buy and just rewire to the old wires, just take the other light socket off and take it with u to ford and let them match up the pidtail that plugs into the socket
Old 09-03-2009, 11:05 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
Well if epoxy wont stick to the polyurethane, what will? I can’t drill holes because they would poke out of the other side, but I definitely cannot have this happen again. Any suggestions?
A speciality adhesive needs to be used.
Search google for polyproplene adhesive...
I had to repair my cowl cover clips and found some
plastic specific adhesive. The surface needs to be
properly prepped.
A new bumper cover would be less than the adhesive...