Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after cooler questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
Air to air is much better for long drives. A buddy of mine did the aftercooler while running 10psi. It would get heat soaked after about 30 minutes of driving. He was getting charge temps of almost 160 degrees. Now he has a air to air blow through setup with a 4 in thick front mount intercooler and getting ambient charge temps.

Yes you can add ice to water, no it doesn't last long.

By far the best setup is air to air blow through, but it is tough to setup and needs to be tuned. If you just want to do air to air, that can be done too but its mostly going to be custom fit unless you buy a kit for it. For the intercooler its around 300 dollars and you have to put the piping together yourself, and make the brakets, which is actually fairly easy.

I took a pic of my friends car while I had the bumper off. Mind you his is a new edge so its set up totally different but you get the idea.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2093/photokxu.jpg

I know on a new edge you can fit a 3 in thick intercooler behind the stock bumper. He took his stock bumper off for the 4 in and ran a chromoly bumper.
Be careful about stating which is better. Some have different ideas of what their goals are. I have an air/air and would rather have an air/water. Yes ice melts very fast, but it also drains fast.

At the track an air/air lags behind the water. Just my opinion. The ability to artifically cool the car is awesome. There are all sorts of things you can do to help both systems. The larger the resevoir for the coolant and the larger the heat exchanger the better.

In traffic it lags also.

But driving around my ambiant temps stay at or near ambiant until I get on it. It's very nice. My intercooler works very good while moving.

We had a big debate a while ago over this subject and there's no real #1 answer.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:44 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

And the Nitrous cooler spray bar kits are a waste of Nitrous
and money....
Old 09-05-2009, 03:42 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
And the Nitrous cooler spray bar kits are a waste of Nitrous
and money....
only if you fill them with nitrous, co2 is much cheaper.

i vote for putting your own air to air together if money is an issue,all the parts be found on e-bay for leass the $200. those cheap $80 intercoolers on ebay are actually very good quality and work rather well (according to my tuner when it was on his dyno).
Old 09-07-2009, 04:13 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

There's nothing difficult in installing either, but there are more affected systems with the air-water (adding a reservior, pump, wiring, etc) in addition to the coolers and piping.
Air-air is no wiring nor additional things to go wrong, but does involve longer pipe runs.

Both need front facia removal (which is very easy), and front mounting of a cooling unit.

Reclocking the SC unit is not difficult, but it does take a little more time and labor.

I did a custom air-air setup for my Vortech for under $500, but did most of the work myself (except for pipe welding). Very happy with it, as there's no water circulation I have to worry about, no worry about IATs getting high due to air-water cooling issues that could occur.
Each has it's advantages over the other as mentioned.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:14 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

There's nothing difficult in installing either, but there are more affected systems with the air-water (adding a reservior, pump, wiring, etc) in addition to the coolers and piping.
Air-air is no wiring nor additional things to go wrong, but does involve longer pipe runs.

Both need front facia removal (which is very easy), and front mounting of a cooling unit.

Reclocking the SC unit is not difficult, but it does take a little more time and labor.

I did a custom air-air setup for my Vortech for under $500, but did most of the work myself (except for pipe welding). Very happy with it, as there's no water circulation I have to worry about, no worry about IATs getting high due to air-water cooling issues that could occur.
Each has it's advantages over the other as mentioned.