Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after cooler questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Got_GT

Default after cooler questions

I have a non intercooled vortech supercharger. I am considering putting a charge cooler in. Should I go with paxton's air-air cooler or vortech's air-water setup? also, about how many labor hours (for a shop) would it take to do this?

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Use Vortechs Air/water, labor should not be very much. Maybe two hours of labor.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Use Vortechs Air/water, labor should not be very much. Maybe two hours of labor.

Brenspeed quotes 6 hours of labor because the front end has to be taken off. I have the charge cooler sittin in the garage waiting for a free couple days to take it to get installed, grr stupid busy weeks.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Got_GT

I've got a quote from a local shop for $450 for the labor (not including a tune) and that seemed a bit high. The 450 quote was for vortech air-water setup. Is the air-air setup much more involved? The same shop gave me a quote at over $700 for paxtons air-air setup (again just the labor, with no tune)

Do these figures add up, or are they trying to pull one over on me?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:05 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

it's definitely going to be expensive & labor intensive to change the regular set-up to the HO set-up....you have to remove & replace the front bumper to install the heat exchanger, you have to install the intercooler, you have to run all the plumbing hoses (including pumps & wires) required, you have to reconfigure the S/C head unit to the intercooler, & you have to retune the car.

the quotes listed above don't sound out of line at all...
Old 09-04-2009, 01:25 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
it's definitely going to be expensive & labor intensive to change the regular set-up to the HO set-up....you have to remove & replace the front bumper to install the heat exchanger, you have to install the intercooler, you have to run all the plumbing hoses (including pumps & wires) required, you have to reconfigure the S/C head unit to the intercooler, & you have to retune the car.

+1 - the quote doesn't seem out of the ordinary. water cooled is > than air cooled on a street car...period. You can always make your water colder, you can't change the air temp. If you get the vortech kit, then also buy their bigger resevoir and relocate your battery IMO.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:44 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang

Correct!!! Many people don't know that the head unit needs to be pulled to re-clock the compressor housing and moving the idler pulley to a different location.

Casey
Old 09-04-2009, 04:25 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

build a custom a-to-a kit
Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Air to air is much better for long drives. A buddy of mine did the aftercooler while running 10psi. It would get heat soaked after about 30 minutes of driving. He was getting charge temps of almost 160 degrees. Now he has a air to air blow through setup with a 4 in thick front mount intercooler and getting ambient charge temps.

Yes you can add ice to water, no it doesn't last long.

By far the best setup is air to air blow through, but it is tough to setup and needs to be tuned. If you just want to do air to air, that can be done too but its mostly going to be custom fit unless you buy a kit for it. For the intercooler its around 300 dollars and you have to put the piping together yourself, and make the brakets, which is actually fairly easy.

I took a pic of my friends car while I had the bumper off. Mind you his is a new edge so its set up totally different but you get the idea.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2093/photokxu.jpg

I know on a new edge you can fit a 3 in thick intercooler behind the stock bumper. He took his stock bumper off for the 4 in and ran a chromoly bumper.

Last edited by avengence; 09-04-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by modaddict
+1 - the quote doesn't seem out of the ordinary. water cooled is > than air cooled on a street car...period. You can always make your water colder, you can't change the air temp. If you get the vortech kit, then also buy their bigger resevoir and relocate your battery IMO.
That's what my suggestion was going to be too. My buiddy put on a larger resevoir and had an easily accessible drain to replenish with ice between runs. It made a bigger difference than I thought it would.

I guess two hours is way off. I was thinking the parts were all easily accessible. Forgot about the under bumper stuff.

If the battery is in the trunk, don't you need an on/off switch for the battery if you go to the track?

Quick Reply: after cooler questions