Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Remote Keyless Entry Not Working ---- HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
pioneer06

Default Remote Keyless Entry Not Working ---- HELP!!

OK, so I have a 2006 GT Premium Coupe. About a week and a half ago, my RKE stopped working. Tried the extra key fob and it wouldn't work either. Replaced the battery in both and they both worked for 3 days. Went out to the car this morning and it had stopped working again. Car still starts fine and power locks/unlocks from the doors.

I have unhooked the battery and reconnected to no avail. Tried to reprogram the remotes to no avail. I am out of ideas but don't want to take it to the dealer if I don't have to. Is there anything else I can check before I take it to the dealership and get charged an arm and an leg (not under warranty.)

Thanks for any help!!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 PM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

My batteries died when I just got car I changed them week later same thing, so I took to dealer it was something with memory when battery changed, took em a few minutes to fix it.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:21 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I know personally of a situation that will temporarily lock out your FOB. I have no idea if this even remotely applies to you, but I'm sure someone else, somewhere has had this issue also and is scratching their head about it. It has to do with my MP3 player, I have a creative zen x-fi, I'm not sure if it is related to this particular brand/model or not but... if I turn off the MP3 player while it is still jacked into the aux-in jack, all my remote FOBs will be locked out for several hours. When I disconnect it and turn it off, no issues, if I leave it turned on and playing, no problem.
I know the aux jack dangles off the can bus of the shaker head unit, which I assume could affect the can bus in the rest of the car... but that is just speculation on my part, except for thefact that if I power down my MP3 player while connected to the car, the fobs stop working every time.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Take the RKE remotes to the local AutoZone and test them to comfirm
that they are actually transmitting. Seems its intermittent operation.
I would suspect the RKEs before anything else. They die first.....
Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 PM
adonf

Thumbs up you are f## GENIUS!!!

Originally Posted by danzcool
I know personally of a situation that will temporarily lock out your FOB. I have no idea if this even remotely applies to you, but I'm sure someone else, somewhere has had this issue also and is scratching their head about it. It has to do with my MP3 player, I have a creative zen x-fi, I'm not sure if it is related to this particular brand/model or not but... if I turn off the MP3 player while it is still jacked into the aux-in jack, all my remote FOBs will be locked out for several hours. When I disconnect it and turn it off, no issues, if I leave it turned on and playing, no problem.
I know the aux jack dangles off the can bus of the shaker head unit, which I assume could affect the can bus in the rest of the car... but that is just speculation on my part, except for thefact that if I power down my MP3 player while connected to the car, the fobs stop working every time.
I had the same symptoms as you: remote not working, reprogram not possible etc.., lead to be rejected on my smog test as the smog tester could not connect to my monitors. I read your post, go out in my car, disconnect my Creative ZEN MP3 player from the central console... and IMMEDIATELY, the remote reworks perfectly well! You should be given some sort of Noble prize... or sell you post to Ford and get a free Shelby...
Old 03-17-2011, 05:06 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adonf
I had the same symptoms as you: remote not working, reprogram not possible etc.., lead to be rejected on my smog test as the smog tester could not connect to my monitors. I read your post, go out in my car, disconnect my Creative ZEN MP3 player from the central console... and IMMEDIATELY, the remote reworks perfectly well! You should be given some sort of Noble prize... or sell you post to Ford and get a free Shelby...
I'm glad my frustration with the issue and troubleshooting helped someone. I'm still dumfounded how something plugged into the audio jack can mess with the system, you'd think that would be isolated in the stereo head unit, but I guess not.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:41 PM
JudisStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Just googled keyfobs not working for my 2007 and found your reply, thank you... I unhooked my ipod shuffle and they worked.... You saved me at least 3 hours pay from not having to go to the stealership Monday! THANK YOU!!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Old thread but similar issue happened to me over this past weekend. Only difference is that it wasn't an iPod. Instead, it was a DC to AC inverter. A small 160W one for a laptop.

I had it in the center console (unplugged) for a day and all of a sudden neither Key fob was recognized by the car. It would start and run fine but the fobs would not lock/unlock the doors or the open the trunk. I didn't try the panic switch for fear I would not be able to shut it off.

Anways, as soon as I removed the thing from the console, both key fobs worked just fine. I know an inverter has a magnet in it for the transformer but as to why it only affected the fobs when it's stored in the center console, no clue.

To be certain it wasn't a fluke, I went head and put the inverter back in. After about 20 minutes the car wouldn't 'see' the key fobs. After I removed it, all was good.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:23 PM
TinaLoper

Default Fob not working still!

Thank you all for the helpful tips. My remote fob stopped working somewhere around the time that we installed a new stereo AND a new battery. I tried a new battery in the fob and tried to reprogram per instructions given here. No dice. Anyone have any other ideas? Could it have to do with the new stereo and/or batttery?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I think it could have to do with the new stereo. To test that theory pull the fuse that powers the stereo, wait about half an hour and try the fob.
I think it has to do with electronic equipment introducing 'noise' into the can bus system.

Quick Reply: Remote Keyless Entry Not Working ---- HELP!!